Gas/Electric Direct Debit overchargers??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dwarfer, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

Hi, I've heard if you pay by Direct Debit for your gas or electric they double the bill and save the other half into the account.

eg. gas/electric bill = £40.00...
    Bank Statement = £80.00 DD Payment.

Thanks,. Reason I ask is I'm thinking of using DD in future where i use cheque now

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I pay for Sky, BE Internet, Mobile Contract etc via DD, I've never been charged double (even at the start of the contract). Though I do believe, if you have no credit history (or bad credit) etc they will take the first payment in advance, this will either be used for a payment you are unable to make or refunded at the end of the contract.

3. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Direct Debit is not a very good option to pay bills if you want to take bank loan for buying house or something big.... Me personally feel its a kewl idea but dont want to go with it just because of this loan thingy as I am planing of starting a business and need to have less expenses to can take more loan on my current job's salary :)

4. floorthecore

floorthecore Geek Trainee

electrill bills are disgusting

5. zeus

zeus out of date

Direct Debits are perfect for paying bills. Just dont miss any payments cos you will get charged.

Sometimes gas/electric/phone companies etc take a fixed payment each month and if you overpay you are simply in credit. The thing is they will keep on taking the arranged figure regardless of what your bills are. Its a matter of reducing your direct debit. You will have to contact either your bank or payee to reduce it.... I know its one of the few things I cant do on the net.

tbh Ask the people you are paying! They might know.