Gateway FX Computer Won't Start?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Lucas Zsombor, May 15, 2011.

1. Lucas Zsombor

Lucas Zsombor Geek Trainee

Earlier today and for the past while my computer has been working perfectly fine; not lagging or randomly shutting down or anything suspicious, but today, after I moved my computer to a different room, it refused to start. So I figured it was probably just the outlet there or something and moved it back. Still nothing. I've opened it up, checked all the plugins to make sure they were secure, tried starting it without the graphics card, tried everything I could think of or find in forums but to no avail. I installed a new graphics card a couple months ago but its been working fine since then and thats the only real change in since I got it so I'm at a loss as to what could have caused this problem. If you need any more information on the type of computer or graphics card or any other specifications feel free to ask and I'll answer to the best of my ability. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

What happens when you turn the power switch on? Do you hear any beeps or fans running, or is it dead quite? Is the switch on the power supply turned on?

3. Lucas Zsombor

Lucas Zsombor Geek Trainee

Nothing turns on at all
    no fans, no lights, nothing
    i've checked the outlet so it works fine and the fuse in the powersupply

and there are no switches on the back, just the plug in and the fan

4. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

This is highly unlikely but maybe after the move the main cable connected to the motherboard popped out of its socket. Open up the case and disconnect all the cables directly connected to your motherboard via the power supply. Use caution and be patient when disconnecting. Unplug the power supply from the wall when doing this.
    Once all cables are disconnected, reconnect them. Start up your PC.