GeForce 8800 GTS and GTX

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Jackal, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Jackal

Jackal Geek Trainee

Who's getting one of these bad boys? :cool:

2. mut

mut Geek Trainee

With a £500 price tag, and the fact that you can't use directX10 right now, not me :)
    Maybe when prices come down and there is actually a need for such a card.

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I'd wait untill summer 2007. Then there will be full support and some actual games.

4. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

No use in getting one at this point. And i usually go gaga over gfx cards, but for some reason i'm not really excited about these. No need for vista or DX10 for me. Hell at 600 dollars a pop i might as well buy a ps3 when i get the money.

5. Jackal

Jackal Geek Trainee

They have basically double the performance of a 7800 GTX, even in current games. That's reason enough for some to get it. Other than that, though... I'll be waiting for the 8900 series, kthx. If the previous generations have anything to show... The 8900's should use up less power, generate less heat, and the lower model of the two, (I guess the new naming scheme is GTS), should be about the same power as an 8800 GTX, and less pricey to boot, (at launch, usually).

Of course, the final decision will really come for me, when ATI releases their DX10 card. I feel they have a much nicer feel to their cards, sometimes. Were it not that I loved NVidia, I would of gotten a different mobo that supported ATI's Crossfire in trade of NVidia's SLI, (even if slightly superior). The X1950 XTX was able to hold it's own against the 8800 GTS in some benchmarks I've seen. Just imagine how well ATI's DX10 beast will do.

Though, we've yet to see how well these cards will perform in DX10 games, (namely Crysis, heh). Will they perform better, thanks to the DX10 architecture? Or will it perform about the same? Only time will tell... Jan. 30th is when Vista will be released to consumers. Hopefully there'll be a couple of nice DX10 games to test out by then.

6. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I think it would *also* depend on the resolution you play your games at. I've read anything lower than 1920*1200 won't do the card justice, well with the current price tag.

Though it would be fair to say that, you would be able to play all the current games at max settings, with a very good frame rate.

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, if a company would send me one for review, yeah. Otherwise, I wish. The 8600 or whatever they'll call the mid-range will probably be what most people get.

8. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Is the 8800GTX an actual DX10 car that will be able to support DX10?

Either way, no way am i getting one, i got subwoofers to buy, and i am with ATi, am waiting for the R600.

Its annoying tho, i like to only buy High end card, when i got my X800xt pe, it was still a High End card, so if they bring out an 8600 w/e, that will be like the budget car, still like 3 times more powerfull than my x800xt pe, i probs wouldent get it, coz its a mid end card, and with DX10 game, i rekon it wont do good at all, even the 7900 series are mid range cards when the 8800GTX comes out.

For a decent high end rig, to build, its going to cost like £900 if these 8800GTX are like £500 :eek:, graphics card, cpu, mobo, hdd psu, no, its going to be more like 1k :eek:.

9. mut

mut Geek Trainee

Yeah it's an actual DX10 card supporting DX10 games.
    I'm happy that it has been released, best to get the first load out early, let everyone pay their stupidly high prices, then when it drops (hopefully early 2007), I can get my hands on some of this gear.

At least we aren't being forced to pay the £500, with games not even supporting DX10 yet, it means we aren't waiting around too much to be able to use one, and in the meantime the price should hopefully drop.

10. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Hmmm, the 8800GTX is still like normal graphics card, with pipelines etc.., i heard the the R600 is going to be like totally different, no pipelines, its going to be a diffo design all together, but i could be wrong, but its good that ATi are changing from the normal design if its true, taking risks, risking nvidia beating em etc.. lol, ATi all the way :p, i don't think the 8800GTX will actually be worth the money tbh, it might perform rubbish with DX10 graphics even tho its DX10 card.

Uh, whats a shader clock? :s, damn its fast, only £480, and £380 for the GTS.

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, I'm not sure you can eliminate pipelines, although the focus on them isn't the only factor with the G80 GPU's. It's some pretty interesting technology, so you might want to read a few reviews of the 8800GTX and GTS cards. nVidia went further than required to be a true DX10 card from what I've read. It's quite revolutionary, and I think the Anandtech review stated that nVidia just eclipsed the PS3.

The shader portion of the G80 GPU's is a new feature. Don't quote me on this, but I believe that's part of the DX10 requirements. The more I read, the more it's apparent how much of a jump DX10 is from the previous DirectX versions. It's a very radical shift, and more than a simple update.

12. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

It will probably do fine with DX 10 games but nVidia is actually aiming to make it perform as well as possible with DX 9 games right now but provide support for DX 10 games so early adopters of the card can encourage DX 10 support and get the ball rolling here.
    But rest assured that the R600 will very likely trump the 8800 series big time. This isn't to say nVidia won't do anything about it naturally but with a 2007 launch date they've got a lot of extra time to innovate and see what their up against.

13. mut

mut Geek Trainee

That 3d "preview" on nVidia's website looks amazing. (The woman's face)
    When games are out with that level of detail I don't think I'll be stepping away from the computer.