General cooling

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by sabashuali, Aug 6, 2005.

1. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

So... there it is.
    I have had enough of window shopping and with a heavy sigh gave up the dream of keeping my system at reasonable tempretures.

Not enough money to invest see..... :(

For one reason or another, my heatsink/fan (retail - came with my CPU) cannot cool my CPU to below 44 at idle, if I am to beleive speedfan (it does not 'exactly' support my board). I find that if I open my side pannel and stand a large fan in front of the computer it drops the tempretures conciderably (forgive my spelling...). So the conclusion is that not enough fresh air is circulating around that pathetic case of mine (I knew I should not have cut that corner...) and that the fan of the heatsink is just blowing hot air over the heatsink. Not much help to a prescott. So......

I am stuck with my h/s+fan combo and with one fan blowing air in and one blowing out. In addition my PSU (only one fan)is blowing out.
    The only option opened to me, without spending money is to utelise a spare fan or two I have (both 80mm).

GET TO THE ****EN POINT!!!! I HEAR YOU SHOUT! :O

Well, I would like to drill the side pannel of my case to acommodate the extra fan but where should it blow? In or out? Does my system need more fresh air or just get rid of as much hot air as possible? Noise wise what will be less noisy, blowing in or out?

Thanks all for your input!

Keep it cool! :good:

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

You should position your fan on the side roughly in the middle or wherever so it is blowing in (intake) directly over your northbridge chipset that way it also blows cool air over your RAM, chipset and CPU all in one. Also you should have a exhaust fan at the back at least to suck out hot air and dust. Usually intake airflow is quieter but then again if its really cold just turn that baby around and play a game and youve got yourself a nice heater :)
    you could also have a exhaust fan at the top of your case to extract the hot air directly from the CPU and PSU!
    P.S. Just a stupid idea but works, as i am a smoker ive found if i spark one up and blow the smoke into the case you get an idea of the airflow pattern!

sabashuali likes this.
  3. LeeShore

LeeShore Geek Trainee

What o chief ! In discussion with someone a while ago about over heating , the person advised to put the hole at the top of the case if you have the room between your drives and psu as heat tends to build up at the top due to heat rising ! I would asume it would be blowing the hot air out , if theres only hot air in the cpu the fans can only blow the hot air around !

sabashuali likes this.
  4. endfx

endfx Geek Trainee

I have dealt with this exact problem as well.
    I have two slots in my case for fans:
    1 at the back to blow air out of the case.
    1 at the side to pull air into the case (directly over the CPU and memory).

Now my case came with both fans running but this was far to loud.
    So I have experimented with which fans running keep the case and CPU the coolest.

Basically, the fan at the back of the case sucking air out is BY FAR the more effective fan at keeping things cool.

This side fan surprisingly didn't help much at all.

So I run my PC with one fan at the back sucking air out.

Hope this help.

sabashuali likes this.
  5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

currently i have air being sucked in at the front of my case through holes and then over a HDD cooler, then air is sucked in the side and over my Graphics card and Northbridge also over my cpu (i have an artic freezer 4 HSF). A 120mm fan at the back sucks air out and the air at the top is removed by another fan. Case temps:30*C CPU temps (idle): 25*C :D
    Try to follw this rule: air in at bottom front (coolest air) air out at top and back (as hot air will move towards the back after being sucked in by fan and will be heated up therefore rising)

sabashuali likes this.
  6. endfx

endfx Geek Trainee

Matt555: If you don't mind me asking, don't you find that rather loud?
    My PC originally came that was as well, but it was real loud, so I put switches on all my fans and found that the side fan didn't do much for cooling anyhow.

Just curious as to how loud it is.

sabashuali likes this.
  7. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

it is a bit loud but the fans moving arent the noisy part, its the air thats moving that causes the noise, i have 2x80mm case fans spinning at 1500RPM and make 18db(a) of noise, 2x50mm fans on the hard drive cooler which aren't noisy plus a 120mm case fan at the back which cant be heard (even when i get down there and put my ear to it) and it moves a lot of air! then there's my alaska Northbridge fan, quieter than my old one but still rather loud as its small and has to spin at 5000rpm. My CPU HSF isnt noisy, its an arctic cooling freezer 4 which has dropped my CPU temps 10*C (with some help from some AS5) but i think my PSU fan makes the most noise, its a generic PSU (yes i know they're crap and i need to get another one, i will when i get some cash) as it makes a whooshing sound and the fan makes vibrating noises (maybe a sign its on its way out)

sabashuali likes this.
  8. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

hmm, so you have stock cooling too, i have the exact same processor as you, and at idle my processor is at 52 degrees, and thats with stock cooling and a 80mm case fan on top of cpu cooler.

so i guess it must be just that they run hot, as i try everyhitng, even used thermal paste and i still get those temperatures, even the 2.8ghz celeron d was about 46 at idle, our computers a quite simaler, do you have an 865pe motherboard?, as i see it has c-media audio, so your mobo seems to be simaler to mine, i was wondering, do you ever get problems such as your computer randomly shutting down sometimes?

9. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

i have that problem, (i have an MSI-865PE-Neo2 Motherboard) i originally put it down to overheating, since i got new coolers it doesnt happen as much but it still does. i'm thinking it could be my crappy generic PSU as it didnt happen before i put my DL DVD+/-RW in, after that it kept freezing and/or rebooting, it wasnt a fault with the drive, it worked perfectly so i think i was pushing it with the power.

10. Willz

so you dont get random shutting down as in, power going off?
    i think it could be down to 865pe motherboards.

11. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Hey everyone!

Thanks for your time and input.

Willhub, no I have the ASrock P4V88 which has the VIA chipset.
    Although I did start with the P4VT8+ (burned out on me for some reason... :eek: ).

My computer never shutdown on me, in fact at the moment it will not shutdown at all, but that is an issue for another forum.... :O

Since I bought my pressy it was always hot (with the stock h/s+fan). I switched to thermal paste which brought it down slightly, I replaced the exhausting fan with a Variable RPM fan and added a Constant RPM 80mm intake fan. And then everything seem to have been OK’ish. Until my PSU and mobo burned…..

I really cannot remember the temps I had with the previous rig. I never had freezes, hang-ups or shutdowns. Maybe the whole ‘problem’ is just a sensor giving me wrong info???? Although when I boot into BIOS the HW monitor does give me quite a high CPU temp. Ahhh, WHATEVER! If she blows she blows! When I get a bit of money I will buy some sort of a heatpipe contraption. Maybe that will help. What I do in the mean time is – when I do video things or when I play FarCry, I open the side panel and aim my domestic 40cm fan onto the bastard. Works a treat!

Current readings from SpeedFan and/or HMonitor:
    CPU idle – 44-46C and 55-58C under pressure
    Mobo idle 28-30C and 32-36C under load

12. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

might also have to do with general temperatures in your house

13. Willz

Aint via chipsets known to be cheap, and made from low quality parts?

14. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

nah the K8T890 and K8T880 are pretty decent, and stil do alot better then the next (SIS) they're pretty solid for multimedia apps

15. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Are you dissing my shack? LOL :D

I joke, I joke, I kid, I kid.

Nuh, I do not hink so. It hasn't been so hot lately.
    I mean I have noticed higher temps when the weather was hotter but the temp here now is roughly 20C but my pressy, shi is a hot a baby... madre mia....
    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

16. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

ooo, i forgot to mention before, this sounds stupid but it is true, i tried that once(sticking a 40cm fan at the side of my pc) and when i turned it on the comp just shutdown, everytime, so i think that they generate a fair bit of magnetism or something.
    Sometimes i do it now just for fun on my old pc :)

17. Willz

lmao, lol i think it sounds like power supply, get a decent power supply, eg: antec, and see what happens, most problems well infact nearly all problems like this that i have seen have being solved by replacing power supply with a decent one.

18. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

is it possible the 40mm exceeded the last bit of PSU power you had? haha

19. Willz

lol, he prob dint plug it in right, cos magnatism aint going to affect a psu, well i dont think so anyway.

20. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

What is this Willhub, are you ganging up on my little baby VIA?

I will be perfectly honets - I chose ASRock because it was the cheapest mobo supporting 800Mhz FSB, HT and SATA. It also had 6 USB ports which apealed to me.
    Then when the bustard burned, although I was going to change to Intel, as the board was under guarantee, I had to go for the same ****.

I have never had, and have not got now, any problems with the mobo.
    Not realy anyway.

I would however would very much like to change to ASUS or Intel. I would realy like an Intel chipset.... When I will get a bit of money, I will make some changes.....