General help needed

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nanco, Oct 27, 2005.

1. nanco

nanco Geek Trainee

Ok, I have bought absolutely everything I need to build my new computer. This will be the first time (from scratch) that I have ever attempted this and have just a couple of questions I need to ask:

1. Heatsink Paste - Do I actually need it when installing my processor into my motherboard and what does it do? (It's a P4 CPU and a Gigabyte 915P GA-8I915P Duo Pro motherboard). There is no mention of it in the P4 instructions manual, however, it is mentioned in the motherboard instructions when installing.

2. Electrostatic discharge - I have never really took this into account before when upgrading my previous PC, however would it be entirely necessary if I bought an ESD band or something? Or are there special precautions I should follow? I have asked others who do much PC modifying etc and none have really come across it before. What do you guys think?

Regards, Matt

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Thermal Paste = Essential, Arctic Silver 5 is the best IMHO but other like Ceramique. You spread a paper thin layer over your CPU die before putting the Heatsink on, the Paste assists thermal transfer between the 2 by filling the micro gaps that having not-perfectally flat serfaces cause (you will never get the surfaces perfectally flat...)
    ESD = Wrist bands are good if you buy a good qulity one, also if you dont want to just touch an exposed metal part of the case every minute or so to get rid of any static build-up you may have.
    On building your rig if you want any-help we are here but here are a few sites worth a look at...
    http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/
    http://www.buildyourowncomputer.net/learntobuild.html
    http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/
    Hope this helps
    Matt (another one...w00t!)

3. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

You don't necessarily need thermal paste, sometimes the heatsinks come with a thermal pad, just gotta take a look. If it doesn't, then YES you MUST put it on yourself, but not lots. As for the electrostatic discharge, I wouldn't worry, I've built quite a few systems and I have yet to fry anything this way. Best of luck to you. It's the best feeling when you build your first PC and it works ;)

4. nanco

nanco Geek Trainee

Thanks for the prompt replies! I have actually just looked in my CPU box now and noticed a small square strip on the bottom of the CPU fan. Could this be the heatsink paste? I could get a picture if thats any help (wouldnt want to buy some then find out I dont need it) but it is an official P4 fan, not OEM.

5. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

To my knowledge, it should have paste on it already, but what the hell, post a picture of the bottom of the heatsink, just to make sure.

6. Addis

Addis The King

If you don't want to buy a wrist strap, you can touch your PSU before you handle the components. Just make sure that the PSU is plugged into the mains but also switched off at the back so its still earthed.

7. nanco

nanco Geek Trainee

8. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Yep, thats the thermal pad!
    Good luck to you in your building experience :cool:

9. nanco

nanco Geek Trainee

Excellent! Once again, thanks to everyone for the advice.

Regards, Matt

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Glad we could help! :good:
    Oh and StimpE, thermal paste isn't essential but when it comes down to it I'd much rather use paste than a pad, I dont think pads can match the mighty cooling power of AS5...(makes Arctic Silver 5 sound like a superhero...heh)

11. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

12. nanco

nanco Geek Trainee

Hi, its me again. Just run into another minor problem. I just need a little help regarding connecting my motherboard to the case. Theres a picture below. On my motherboard there are 6 holes (3 along the top, 3 along the middle, and 3 along the bottom), all of which would easily screw into the case (the holes are slightly raised) and fit the I/O plate. Although, after reading info on some sites, is there any special precautions i should take? The motherboard seems to almost be touching the case if I screwed it in, but it would fit the I/O. Am I worrying too much about nothing? lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/Nanco/DSCF0001.jpg

13. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

You need standoffs to stop the motherboard from touching the case, otherwise it will short out on the motherboard tray

14. nanco

nanco Geek Trainee

I got 3 of those with the case. Not too sure where to put them though.

15. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Only 3?!
    You'll need more than that (you may have got some with your motherboard), you screw the standoffs into the case where the holes are for the motherboard (there are different holes for different orientations and types of motherboards) and then place the motherboard in making sure the holes line up with the holes in the standoffs, then you screw the motherboard to the standoffs, this stops the motherboard from making contact with the case and shorting out.

16. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

This may help you on installing the motherboard...
    This as well maybe,
    And also maybe this

17. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

It gets the job done if you don't plan on overclocking the hell out of your core, but if you think you'll have high temps for some reason, it won't hurt to throw on some AS5. I think he said it's his first system, so removing the old thermal pad and replacing it with AS5 could be a difficult task for a beginner, anywho, good luck with your build.

*off topic* 50th post wewt

18. nanco

nanco Geek Trainee

Thanks for the sites Matt. Using the only 3 standoffs I have (none in the motherboard box im afraid), I have installed my motherboard with yet another problem. The I/O panel doesnt fit with the board installed. Does this really matter? The picture below shows how it looks. Would you say the board seems a little too close to the case on the left? But you would recommend more standoffs yeah?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/Nanco/2.jpg

19. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah I do reccommend more standoffs, otherwise the board could twist or bend...not good,

20. nanco

nanco Geek Trainee

Right, final post now as I am getting tired already lol. I have tried putting my PCI-E graphics card in and there is simply no room in the case for it. I think its now obvious to say I need a bigger case. The one I have here is a Casecom KG-188. It says it is compatible with ATX (my board) but it is a miditower and also compatible with micro ATX (enuff said).

.....Recommendations for an affordable ATX case?????? lol! Must be black.