getting the most fps from my radeon 9600

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Willz, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

ok, i thought i should start a fresh new thread, as i was talking about somthing similar to this on someone elses thread.

i want ot be able to get the best from my radeon 9600 np (NOT SE).
    i have the latest omega drivers and i see that there are loads of settings to mess about with, but i dont know what to put all these settings to so i can get the most possible fps out of my card.

so far i have only found out that my card dont like anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering, and i have managed to max my card out at 500mhz but i have lowerd it down to 486 because at 500mhz that vpu recover kicks in and everything freezes and goes back to default.

so could someone please help me get the best fps out of my 9600.

thanks in advance.

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

i dont anything about ati drivers but if you can you should set Vsync to OFF, AA and AF to OFF, display timing should be AUTO, image settings PERFORMANCE, force mipmaps NONE, and if possible render 3-5 frams ahead in Direct3D settings.
    As i said i dont know anything about ATI drivers but those settings should be in there somewhere!

3. Willz

yea i can see you dont :p, becouse i cant find display timing settings and rendering 3-5 frames ahead timings, and i notice if i have image settings on performance, then i get slower fps.

but thanks anyway it has helped me, maybe someone else who knows about ati drivers would be able to reccomend the settings i should use for latest omega drivers.

4. pelvis_3

Ok then sorry bout that, im sure someone will come along, good luck

5. Willz

i can get gta sa to run quite good on 800x600 reseloution but then its darker and everyhting like a bar or somthing looks thicker and black, so i would like to get it to run good at 1024x768 reseloution.

6. pelvis_3

what does GTA require to run anyway?

7. LeeShore

LeeShore Geek Trainee

Afternoon lads ! Like pelvis said make sure aa , af , forced mips r off and make sure dx texture format is turned on wiv ya radeon ! I have my omega drivers set to high performance with virtualy no visual drop and a little boost ! Really overclocking ya card is the only way to get a BIG boost and it sounds like you've already gone there ! No render ahead on radeons that i know of !

As for gta ,dont go there , still cant get the :swear: to load !!!!!!!!!!!

8. Willz

ok, were abouts are thoe settings in the latest omega drivers?, i cant seem to find them

9. LeeShore

LeeShore Geek Trainee

Right click ya tray icon , go up to Direct 3d , then when the other menu pops up click settings at the bottom , then the additional tab !

10. Willz

do i want support bump mapping on and alternate pixel centers?
    and what about catalys A.I, and texture lod adjustment?

11. LeeShore

LeeShore Geek Trainee

Alternate pixels stops tearing(and lines across ya screen) in your games (or so it says), so enable it if you have in d3d games ! Never turned the bump maps off , would imagine that would give a boost , i'd just turn them off in game if you can ,to be honest ! Turn the OSD on and have a fiddle wiv the a few settings see if your fps improves !

Do you av any fps stats ie Half life 2 , Doom3 etc ?

12. Willz

doom3: no
    half life 2:60-70/30-40
    gta sa:15-20/25-40-60
    ut2k4:45-60

osd?

btw, if a mod catches your posts they might get deleated (wiv/av), its happend to me, you have to use propor english.

13. LeeShore

LeeShore Geek Trainee

That aint looking to bad ! I take it gta struggles wiv a lot on screen , wouldnt know personally as ive spent a week trying to get it to work ! None for the Doom ?

You may think it sounds silly (if ya dont know already) but if ya turn fast writes off in the bios it can give you a boost as some Radeons dont like it on some games !

re-willhub - :eek:hah: point noted (wiv/av),and an apology to whom it may concern !

14. Willz

but..... how do i get in bios?

15. LeeShore

LeeShore Geek Trainee

Tap either F1 or DEL on your num pad when your machine starts loading , to enter the bios ! Avanced chipset features is where you should find your agp aperture size , fast writes , agp setting (x4,x8) ! Be careful though dont go changing settings in other files , unless you know what your doing obviously !!

16. Willz

oh thought you meant graphics card bios.

17. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Generally if you sett your stuff in the drivers to the lowest or off then you will up the performance. I don't know anything about Omega Drivers because they don't work with XP x64 but they should be similar in controls to the Catlyst drivers.

18. pelvis_3

if you turn the bumpmaps OFF that will give you a performance increase, especially if your games use bumpmapping!

19. Willz

when i turn off bumpmaps, i seem to get slower fps in gta sa.

20. pelvis_3

well thats strange as bumpmapping uses extra resources but anyway just turn them back on!