Global Warming

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by thomasbuonoman, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

addis was right i didnt think and i just posted my feelings and i shouldnt especially something like that and im sorry i just know a lot about animal cruilty and would do anything to prevent it which is my biggest and only wish much above all others

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Hey, most people aren't for animal cruelty, and I honestly don't know of those that are. Sometimes animals are skinned as a means of survival, but not always. The fur is valuable because it's warm. You'll find that most people are not like Michael Vick and are taking the life of an animal for a good reason, not just some sick entertainment.

For balanced facts, avoid information from the likes of PETA or other extreme animal-rights activists. The reason here is that they have a stance of mankind is evil and is here to screw over everything else.
    Anybody with a lick of sense won't want to obliterate animals. We like having companions both human and animal. Additionally, man is an omnivore, and having no animals to eat would put a major kink in the works, so exterminating them would be suicidal.

As far as animals killing out of a need to live, that's not true. Cats like to catch things, and not necessarily to eat it. One cat at my parents house like to catch birds, mice, etc and drop them off when she's out at night. She usually doesn't eat them, just kills them and drops them off. We feed her, so she doesn't need to kill anything, yet she does. If you haven't owned a cat, they are vastly different than dogs, which I'm guessing is where you've had much of your experience.

3. Addis

Addis The King

Slightly off topic, but a lot of these issues and others similar to it are poked fun at by South Park. I myself find it hard not to agree with most it, they take the stance of being not at the extremes of either argument, yet sometimes leave you thinking....and sometimes just laughing.

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

WikiAnswers - Is a camel an omnivore

You say it's wrong for us to be carnivores but not animals, because people are smarter than animals. So animals are innocent simply because they are stupid?

The bottom line here is that people do not ordinarily go out of their way to be cruel to animals. This is why it's shocking to see videos like the ones you're linking to; it's a rare and horrible occurrence. In fact it's more common to be cruel to each other, and I think that's the real problem with this world. Human selfishness and greed hurts people, animals, plants, the soil, the air, and the water. So, I'm suggesting that your anger at us is completely misdirected. I'm talking about the extremely rich elites running the place like it's their own blue marble and nobody else has a say.

...And that pretty much brings us back around to the topic of global warming...

5. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

OK, tell me how Global warming isn't real. I live in MI, and this is like the most snow we've has since the early nineties, and its crazy, one inch an hour. That and there was a crap ton of tornadoes in the southeast US today, 30 to 40. There was a total of 50 deaths, the average for a year is 70, 70!!!! This is the winter, in the first place, its extremely rare for this many tornadoes to occur in the winter. Average is something like 1 to 3, this is craziness, there have been outbreaks in the past, but they are generally much less powerful, and WAY fewer deaths.

6. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

I say bring it on, The UK has rubbish summers anyway, so a bit of global warming might do the trick.

The only gripe i have with this whole global warming thing is that while our tiny island of the UK tries to save the world from itself. The Americans still drive round in their 18 litre cars paying an absolute pittance for petrol. while us over here are paying £1.06/$2.09 per litre.
    Also China continues to build fossil fuelled power stations which isn't hardly helping matters.

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I don't think the debate is weather Global Warming is real as much as if it's man-made. I can't help but think it's not given how other planets are warming up within the solar system. As I've said before, I don't think we should necessarily throw caution to the wind and dump whatever wherever we want. If this is a man-made problem, then let's fix it. The solutions proposed don't do that.

8. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Thats funny, cause we were talking about fuel the other day in the shop, and how a couple places in South America are completely self reliant on fuel. But they have sugar cane, so they can make a lot of alcohol (E85) for their cars, works WAY better than corn. So i was just joking around and saying, great, if we keep up, the States will be warm enough for us to grow sugar cane, and have our own fuel.
    Secondly, gas isn't cheap here ether, secondly, not so many people drive that far in SUV/Trucks, and those that do, generally need them for work. Not saying a lot of Americans don't drive inefficient vehicles, but on the same side, we don't have the market you guys have. Also, way to buy into stereo types, thumbs up

9. Addis

Addis The King

Nuclear fusion where are you?

Read an article in Scientific American other day about the possibility for the US to become independent of imported oil if they invested in a massive solar cell scheme, costing billions but potentially paying for itself within time.

10. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I have to say that I totally agree with B on this one. Our global climate has shifted many times, and natural occurrences have much more impact on our environment than our own influence. On the other hand, should we still try to improve our own condition by raising our standards? Absolutely. There are those who would have us believe that it's strictly our fault for the state of human pollution. That is only marginally true, as the top thousandth of a percentile of the world population are probably responsible for a massively disproportionate amount of human pollution. I am of course referring to the wealthy elite, corporate robber barons who certainly don't mind dumping waste and releasing it into our air and water.

P.S. - "Free" (or zero point) energy has been available to us for a very long time, but is basically banned by the powers that be. We could quickly transition to an alternate fuel source if this was allowed.

YouTube - Zero Point Energy

11. Pimp

Pimp Captain of USS Defiant

Global warming is a natural event man has only speeded the process up. Also no one is taking into consideration events such as volcanoes, the Sea and bacteria which produce a lot of carbon.:doh:

12. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

*controversial* - If this is true then maybe it would stop Bush invading countries that have oil fields.

*sorry couldn't help myself.

13. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Even if it's uncertain just how much human activities are a factor in global warming, shouldn't we at least try to prevent it?? As an example, flooding is a natural process, yet we do all we can to not get flooded. People build levees and such.

Now consider global warming.
    Fact #1: Global temperature levels are strongly correlated with atmosphere content of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases. (i.e. more greenhouse gases, higher temperatures)
    Fact #2: We are emitting lots of those gases
    Fact #3: The earth is now getting hotter

Hmm... so the evidence is quite clear that we at least *might* be causing it to some extent. So why don't we at least try to prevent it?? Stop emitting those gases and hopefully the warming won't be as bad. Global warming will eventually cause unimaginable human crises if sea levels rise significantly, because most of the world lives by the oceans. Claims of uncertainty are not reason enough to sit back and do nothing about that threat. Otherwise, why don't we all just sit back and do nothing when we get flooded, earth-quaked, tornadoed, etc. etc. It would be the same logic: those are all natural processes, too, so it's okay to sit there and twiddle our thumbs while people die from them.

14. Pimp

Pimp Captain of USS Defiant

Nuclear Fusion is real and has been achieved but it's too expensive and it's also very very dangerous. It's in the early stages and at the moment it doesn't produce a lot of power because the technology is new and therefore is not that efficient.

What we need is cold fusion but some people say that it's just a theory and will never be achieved some believe you can create cold fusion but so far scientists have tried and failed.