Good Gaming Mouse.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jackal, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Jackal

Jackal Geek Trainee

I'm looking for a new mouse for playing FPS and stuff...

My current mouse sucks. Really bad.

Any suggestions? Just nothing too expensive.

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Logitech Laser series maybe?

3. Journeyman

Journeyman Geek Trainee

4. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I've never used a Razer mouse before, so I can't comment. I am a bit skeptical of a mouse that costs that much, especially when Logitech optical and laser mice are had for noticeably less. Still, there's the whole personal preference thing. Up until recently, I was using a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical, and that worked fine. However, my MX518 has grown on me, and I like the extra weight. As long as it's at least an optical, I'm fine. Try some out and get a feel for them.

6. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yeah, i have a microsoft laser mouse. Yes its microsoft, but it was comfortable and the extra buttons were reasonable. That said get a laser mouse. If at all possible i would go to a best buy or somewhere, where you can feel the mice and figure out which is the most comfortable for you.

7. thoonie

thoonie hmmm....

For me its still Logitech MX518.

Have a read on this article for some gaming mice review.

8. Matt

Matt Oblivion Junky

razers are the best, No doubt, but The Godfather is right its all about personal taste and feel. make sure its got good dpi >1600 and that it feels nice for u

9. Jackal

Jackal Geek Trainee

I bought the Logitech G5 instead. From what I've read, it's better than the Copperhead.

Though one thing...

Does anyone even actually play with their mice set up to 2000 DPI? I feel that that's waaaay too sensitive.

10. Matt

Matt Oblivion Junky

The DPI stands for dots per inch and the number of dots the mouse is CAPABLE of tracking in every inch determines how smooth it is and how responsive it is to tiny mouse movements, especially in first person shooters. Just because the mouse is a 2000 dpi mouse it does not mean that your pointer will shoot off the screen if you move it a micron, it just means that it is very sensitive to small movements and this helps people when they play games where a tiny movement to the left or right means a headshot rather than a miss

11. Jackal

Jackal Geek Trainee

I know what DPI stands for and what is effect on tracking sensitivity is. But, when set on such a high DPI, if your mouse sensitivity in Windows or in-game is set too high, movement is exaggerated and the pointer moves too quickly. Making a headshot when your mouse moves with every tiny movement is much more difficult than when you have it set a bit lower. You need a bit of stillness. If you've played with a mouse that can go that high, you would know exactly what I mean.

The question I'm asking is not WHY play with it set that high, it's WHO plays with it that high.

12. Matt

Matt Oblivion Junky

Nobody.....wait....NOOBS

It would be very stupid. I play FPS's and you know whats what as well so we just misunderstood each other.

What i was trying to get at was that the high dpi just makes the mouse capable of picking up smaller movements and transferring them accurately to the pointer. So its taken for granted that people would have the sence to set thier senitiveity low but a person with a higher dpi mouse would be able to make smaller more accurate movements

BTW i play with a Razer Diamondback(1600dpi)

13. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Hmmm, I had a conversation about this at dinner. I have a MX518 and it is great, but I see absolutely no need to ever go above 800 DPI. That is where I run for games and turn it down to 400 for photo editing. The weight and comfort of the mouse are far, far more important than having a DPI level higher than you can count.