GPU cooler mod

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by spook, Jan 7, 2014.

1. spook

spook Geek Trainee

any one know of or have done any mods to a GPU cooler?

that doesn't LOOK SUPER GHETTO or tweekerish?

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

other than replacing it with quieter CPU cooler, not done anything widely interesting myself but did see someone use some huge CPU cooler that looked crazy.

3. spook

spook Geek Trainee

i was looking on google last night, and im really not that worried bout the card being quite, just want something different for the card till i can upgrade

4. Sniper

I've only modded the GPU fan to make things quite, are you looking to add something flashy? like led fans? similar to what I've used in the past http://www.quietpc.com/gel-icy-vision

5. spook

spook Geek Trainee

i was thinking using some old heatsinks ,and was considering using LED fans but still not sure what im going to do with it yet

6. Sniper

ah cool , i'm sure you can source some led fans from ebay.

7. spook

spook Geek Trainee

if i do decide to redesign a cooler for it, would just be a tut., (im not planning on keeping this card long trying to decide what card i do want to go with) incase any one has an x2 card they need better cooling on :)

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Some ideas: ghetto mods.

Also, depending on your mod, zip-ties can work wonders...even with large heatsinks.
    If you can line up bolt patterns, certain CPU coolers can be used. My experience indicates the PCB can put up with quite a bit of weight. However, there is a limit, at which point you need to either abandon the original plan or reinforce the card. Aluminum is much lighter than copper, so keep that in mind.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014