GUI for CHMOD in Linux?

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by RHochstenbach, May 26, 2009.

1. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

I've started to learn about how to set up a Linux server (especially web servers). So therefore I've installed Debian in a Virtual Machine and set up a web server with a phpbb forum (local web server). After putting the phpbb files in the /var/www directory, I had to change the permissions of the files, according to this guide. However, the problem is that I had to enter a CHMOD command for each seperate file and folder, and this is really annoying. As a last resort, I've selected all files and gave everyone the Write permission in the Permissions Tab. It works, but won't be good for security.

Now I'm wondering if there's a tool to select multiple files or folders, and apply a CHMOD number to the selection at once (graphical interface preferred)? Or is there an FTP client for Linux that I can use to apply permissions to local files?

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

add -R to chmod, -R means recursive so it will apply the chmod you specify to an entire directory tree of stuff

BTW: looking for GUI

Edit:
    Code:
    chmod -R x+x <filename / directory>
    Edit: perhaps you could try this

Edit: sorry

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Depends on what you're doing, more detail would be useful. But you could always use "find" coupled with "chmod" for excessively complex permissions. As for GUIs... I'd say you're approaching Unix as a platform from all the wrong angles. :D

4. RHochstenbach

I've attached an image to explain the different CHMOD permissions I want to apply.

[​IMG]

I'm actually trying to get a forum working on the server. Now I need to know how I can apply the correct permissions to all files and folders in a quick and easy way.

5. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Well, there are several ways, and all of them would be quicker than doing it through the GUI once you know how... especially with your friend tab completion to help you along. :) Find is also a useful tool, since you can use it to identify certain strings or filetypes -- in this case directories -- and apply a given action against it.

Here's an example of how I might do it:
    Code:
    chmod 644 *.php
    find -type d -exec chmod 755 '{}' \;
    chmod 777 cache images

6. RHochstenbach

Thanks, that did the trick!

[ot]I'm quite new to UNIX and especially Linux (the server part), so expect some more questions in the next couple of weeks :)[/ot]