Hackers discover HD DVD and Blu-ray "processing key" -- all HD titles now exposed

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by syngod, Feb 13, 2007.

1. syngod

syngod Moderator

Those cooky kids over at the Doom9 forums hate themselves some DRM. Not more than two months after discovering a means to extract the HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc "volume keys" to decrypt AACS DRM on individual films, we're now getting word that DRM hacker arnezami has found the "processing key" used to decrypt the DRM on all HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc films. Let's break this down for what it is: instead of needing individual keys for each and every high-definition film -- of which there are many -- the processing key can be used to unlock, decrypt, and backup every HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc film released so far. As arnezami points out, "nothing was actually hacked, cracked or even reverse engineered." All he had to do was keep an eye on his memory, watch what changed, and voila... the processing key appeared. So kick back and watch the trickle of HD titles hitting the torrents quickly turn into a flood (at ~20GB a pop, that's not an exaggeration) when the BackupHDDVD and BackupBluray utilities (or AnyDVD HD) are updated to reflect the new hack find.

Source: Engadget

2. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

thats crazy, and arrogant, that they though security would be so good on the new formant that they wouldn't have to do something so simple as to make multiple different keys.

3. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Its still not broken, just beaten.

what they have is a player key, which can be used to get the title key off any disk released before yesterday (as that key will now have been revoked, or there bluff has been called).

The problem with drm is your trying to hide and read the content after delivering the message, which just cant be done!

even better, they only have once chance to protect it... and there's a whole army of people with nothing better to do with an unlimited number of attempts :p good luck!

4. Chelski

Chelski Geek Trainee

20GB a disk thats nuts lol, you'll spend hours trying to back up one of them lol

5. syngod

syngod Moderator

Well that and the fact that HD-DVD-R's are $25 a piece makes it pretty much just as cheap to buy the retail disc, especially when Amazon has most of the available from $19.95 to 27.95.

6. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

you dont need blank media to backup a movie, i rarely copy disc to disc... i prefer to keep all the copy's on my hdd (which also means i can allways find what i want to watch)

7. Chelski

Chelski Geek Trainee

Yeh true i tend to do that myself unless i really like thye movie.