half life 2 gives me a headache

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by stefan1988, Jul 21, 2005.

1. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

im thinking about upgrading my computer monitor because im having some problems with games it gives me a terrible headache even if i play only one for few minutes i would start playing halflife 2 or jedi knight academy and when im playing im kind of dizzy and with a terrible headache

the weird thing is i only get these from this games i can be playing guild wars or halo for 6 hours or more and be completely fine a friend said to me that it could be the monitor
    i have a crt monitor from gateway

I increased the refresh rate to 85hz because me friend said i had it too low

but my question pretty much do i get a headache because the way the game is designed or is it my monitor too old ?

2. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

games with more advanced 3D graphics are one you have to get used to, halos graphics aren't close to HL's your eyes have to process more and get more tired, take breaks man, but you'll get used to the new graphics after a while, everyone gos through it

3. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

It's a common problem with Half Life 2.

Read this.

http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cg...3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXNpY2tuZXNz&p_li=&p_topview=1

4. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Wow, nice Waffles, I was going to look for something just like that:good:

5. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Ok, basic eye strain. Learned about this in Keyboarding (retarded class, I was teaching the teacher). Anyways, every 10 minutes look at an object far away from you, i.e. across the room for about a minute. Should solve your problems. Also try sitting as far away form the screen as you can (don't hunch over the keyboard).

6. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

i don't know why it happens to me i been playing since i was like 5 and I played all kind of games in other words im a hardcore gamer :chk:

i dont think i can't finish game because i just play like for 5 minutes and i get off the computer i feel like i dont have balance it gives such terrible headache
    I lay on bed for about 20 mins

when he says motion sickness in article it sounds like you gonna puke or something is not that kind of feeling i get from game is a horrible migraine i get that i feel like is killing me :(

that sounds like an article for people that dont play much

one thing that i already tried from article is increasing refresh rate
    but how do you enable vsync?

and btw exfoliate nice picure you got there :)

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

The girl or the watery thing?:) For v-sync/Vertical sync, you should be able to right-click, go to something like ATI or nVidia analog display, there should be a tab labeled something like performance and quality, go there and under Global Driver settings you should find what you're looking for. If not it should appear somewhere in the gfx settings in HL2.

8. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

the watery thing :p
    the girl man :good:

i going to try what you said today after i get home im still at work :( and im beyond bored

9. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea... nice avatar. Well if it isn't you, who is it? Just get Rivatuner and OC the monitor :good:

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

My mom:p, no it's just someone i thought would look good under my name;). I don't want to be discouraging but somehow I doubt v-sync will really help that much. CRT's have been known for this for quite some time now, my bet is it's mostly a monitor thing.

11. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea, OC the refresh rate to like 150 MHz. All V-sync does is make the framerate not go over the refresh rate. The only time you need it is if you get picture tearing.

12. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

well that din't help much i still got a horrile headache :x:
    i may try playing half life in another type of monitor to see if that helps

maybe i just get a saved game from someone and finish the game to see the ending :)

13. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Endings shite anyway...

if you are getting a headache, then it is because of the FOV problems, it is a recognised 'glitch' in the game, and can be tweaked with the console command " fov 0 - 999.

fov 90 works well for most people, but its up to you and your eyes that will see if it makes any difference.

14. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

thanks waffle i will try that i din't know about the fov
    and btw what does FOV mean field of vision?

hope i dont get headache again :x:

15. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

heh yeh FOV is field of vision..

you shouldn't get a headache with counterstrike source?

can you confirm that. if so, its 90% the FOV issue HL2 has

16. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

got a horrible headache again :(:(:(:(:(

i think im getting the headache because the way the game is you know how when you start walking the screen comes to you fast I think that is my problem and when you turn around is like you turned around really fast

FOV just helped a little not sure about that.

what I think you mean to do by field of vision is if you limited more your field of vision maybe your eyes wouln't concentrate on the other stuff far away not sure if that what was waflle meant

horrible headache ahhhh :x: :x: :x:

just finished testing it

and exfoliate tell us the name dont just say someone :)

17. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Emily, there you go:) Have you tried it on a different monitor, maybe an LCD?

18. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

no i haven't had the chance to tried it out yet on another monitor it was kind of hard building up courage to play half life the headache it gives me is annoying

it makes me go to bed and lay there for 20 mins or more and if i move with headache around i feel bad

i probably won't play it for a long time maybei just stick to guild wars for now

19. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Just out of curiosity how far are you in HL2? As people have said the ending totally sucks so you won't miss a thing if you don't complete it.

20. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

i think im in the sandtraps part