Hard Disk Problem

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by aks_1610, Jul 9, 2002.

1. aks_1610

aks_1610 Geek Trainee

I am unable to low level format my both the drives.
    1. ST320413A 20 GB
    2. ST36421A 6.4 GB
    Both my drives have bad sectors and i want to remove them. the best way to do it is to Low Level Format the disk(b'coz format/c/u didn't worked, that i tried).I've DM ver 5.0,9.5 and 9.56a,and i've tried every ver. but they show "Low Level format completed successfully." but when i re-start my comp. i find all of my partitions,dirs. and files as it is. i've used fdisk/mbr and try to low level format my disks but same problem.
    Thanks in adv.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If you can, try doing it on a different computer and see if that gets you anywhere.

3. aks_1610

aks_1610 Geek Trainee

I've tried that also. I've also downloaded DiskWizard 2002 and tried to Low-Level Format my HDDs but couldn't found the Low-Level Format option in it(neither Zero Fill Drive was there).
    In one of the options, I selected was in Mantinence-->Partitioning and Formatting Options-->Create new Partition.
    That upto some extent solve my prob. as I m able to recover my 20Gb HDD. and on 6.4 GB, after doing the same tasks, it showed me a partition of 6.0GB, when I tried to format that partition thr. WinXP. A message popuped windows can't format this drive.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I assumed from your first post that you used Seagates tools to format the drives, correct?

Otherwise, I'd be looking into getting an RMA from them on those drives.