Hard drive help

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by ynbh7, Aug 10, 2004.

1. ynbh7

ynbh7 Geek Trainee

Hi, I found this community and Im hoping someone can help me. I have a USB case inside of which is an IBM Deskstar 120GXP. I installed the driver first and then turned it on. My pc read the usb connection (gave a message saying that the connection wont be as fast because i have a 1.1 host controller). The problem is that the hd itself doesnt show up. I have installed this drive before but about a year ago it stopped working after reinstalling XP and I forgot about it. Can anyone help me fix this?

2. Tim Wiseman

Tim Wiseman Geek Trainee

Hi mate,

the first thing to do is to check under Disk Drive Management, (R.click MY COMP and hit MANAGE, then go to the drive manager from there). It may or maynot be shown. If its not then I would next check the drive by replacing the CDROM inside the machine. this might be a good idea to check the drive is OK (IBM Deathstars?? as we used to call them). There is also a drive checker on the IBM website. I would try to get it partitioned and running in Windows as a second drive rather than starting off with the USB cradle.

Of course, if your using a laptop then none of that applies unless you can get your hands on a donor PC to check the drive in that.

the only other thing that springs to mind is the jumper settings on the drive. It might not like Cable Select, so I would set it as a single Master drive. It should tell you on the label which is what.

Hope that helps

3. ynbh7

ynbh7 Geek Trainee

I took it out of the USB and put it inside my computer. The jumper setting was originally on Master and didnt show up in windows or the bios (i looked under ide primary slave which said not installed). I then switched the jumpers to slave and that didnt work either. Im going to try your other suggestions but I doubt Ill have any luck :confused: .

4. ynbh7

ynbh7 Geek Trainee

Well I just connected it with the cdrom cable and it still didnt show up. Does that mean its broken?

5. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

is the hard drive detected in the BIOS? if so in XP fo the following!

Click Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management.

Then select Disk Management, you should now see both hard drives, format the second (new) hard drive! It should then show up on XP in my computer! Then plug it back in the USB device!

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If you can't see it in disk management and you've hooked it up correctly (don't forget the power), I'd say it's broke. If that's the case, contact IBM about replacing the drive providing it's still under warranty.

7. ynbh7

ynbh7 Geek Trainee

That sucks because the warranty ended about 1.5 years ago :( . Do any repair shops buy broken hds?

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Not that I'm aware of. IBM used to have some great hard drives, but after the 75GXP problems, it seemed like they went downhill. I had a couple of 60GXP's that broke within a year of purchase. I've had better luck with Maxtor---who is considered to be less reliable than others. Actually the maxtor's I have now haven't given me trouble so far.

Basically, you have a nice IBM paperweight. Or, something for target practice.

9. ynbh7

ynbh7 Geek Trainee

So I guess that means nobody would buy it... Any good websites where I can get a HD with a 60gb capacity for under 60 (besides pricewatch, ebay, and newegg). I want to put it in my ps2 so as far as I know it cant be a Western Digital.

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Actually Best Buy has an 80GB for like $40 after rebate, and Circuit City has a 120GB Western Digital IDE for $40 after mail-in rebates.

You might try ZipZoomFly or Directron, but that's about it.

11. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

why can't it be a Western ?

12. ynbh7

ynbh7 Geek Trainee

Western Digital is too big, it wont fit in the expansion bay.

13. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

are you sure? I found this site, maybe it can be of some help! here

14. ynbh7

ynbh7 Geek Trainee

15. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Probably due to WD's wacky jumper configurations. I swear, they have some really strange settings...but yeah. Seagate is a good choice as well then.