Harddisk speed

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by RZA, Sep 10, 2002.

1. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

I wonder I got a 5200 rpm harddisk if i get a 7200rpm will it be alot faster and will windows start faster ?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yes. You will notice speedier load times between the speeds, not just in Windows, but large programs or games, like Deus Ex or Unreal Tournament, load faster.

3. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

it it like alot ?
    so worth my money ?

about 1/3 faster ?

4. syngod

syngod Moderator

You should be able to see a noticable speed boost. RZA are you seriously thinking about getting a 7200 drive? If so I'd reccomend the WD 8MB Special Edition series, I have both an 80 and 120 gig drive and the performance is very close to matching SCSI.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

1/3...hmmm that's really hard to say. It was certainly enough to notice the speed---and that has to be fairly significant for that to happen. If you are looking into a new drive, syngod is definitely right in pointing you at the WD Special Edition drives.

Newegg has the 80GB versions of the drives for $105 at Newegg...a company that I highly recommend if you're in the US.

Link: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...=14&manufactory=1306&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

6. syngod

syngod Moderator

I'd say the amount of performance difference you'll see most likely depends on the files you use and your pc maintenance habits.

If your drive is highly fragmented or your dealing with large files you'll notice a big difference, if your looking at a few 100k files in sequential order you might not notice that big of a difference.

With games hitting 1/2/3 Gigs a pop or if you do lots of audio/video work it's probably a good idea to go with a 7200 drive, otherwise for stuff like surfing the net and checking email you probably won't see a difference.

7. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

I'm not gonna buy 1 right now but like in 2 mounths when i have the money
    Ive seen a WD Caviar UDMA 100 60gb 7200rpm and 8mb cache that im probally gonna buy then
    Syngod u didnt mean this 1 right ?
    I dont see the special edition anywhere in Dutch shops.

And I mostly do is games, mp3's and divx and surfing the net.
    And i defragment my drive when its needed(not much)

8. syngod

syngod Moderator

All the drives with 8 MB cache are considered their special edition, or at least here in North America. Not sure how they market them in Europe and Asia.