Hardware problem?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by LV2000, Feb 8, 2009.

1. LV2000

LV2000 Geek Trainee

Hello all,
    if anyone could help me with this:

Sometimes when I start my computer the screen doesn't turn on and the computer doesn't seem to boot. Additionally sometimes when windows start a blue screen shows up...Any ideas about what is going on?

Please ask if you need additional information...

2. LV2000

LV2000 Geek Trainee

I want to add that I have tested the Ram with a program and it didn't find any problem

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Hi LV2000

More information is need really;

- what are your computer specs?
    - can you write down the error message code when you get the blue screen

4. LV2000

LV2000 Geek Trainee

Here:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
    ASUS P5E64WS Evolution
    2GB Ram DDR3
    8800GT

As for the blue screen the only thing I remember is that it says that a device maybe is not installed properly.

Moreover the temperatures of the graphics card and CPU seems to be in acceptable levels(57C and ~25C(for the CPU).

I want to add that occasionally(windows) the computer just stops to function so I have to restart but this happens rarely...

5. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

What have you tested the RAM with? I recommend running Memtest86+ overnight to be sure. Also, what make and model is your PSU? Finally, I'd give the motherboard a once-over for bad capacitors. They are essentially small batteries and thus will look similarly when they fail, either bulging or leaking caustic fluid from the top or bottom.

[​IMG]

6. LV2000

LV2000 Geek Trainee

Thanks for the reply

I used Memtest86+ , no problems. The PSU is a chieftec. You mean to personally examine the motherboard for bad capacitors?

7. Anti-Trend

Nice, that's one less consideration, assuming you gave the test enough time. Sometimes errors don't pop out for a while. :)

OK, can you find out what model? What's the rated wattage?

Yeah, unfortunately there are no automated ways to do that which I'm aware of.

8. LV2000

LV2000 Geek Trainee

Hello again,

About the Memtest86+, i didn't escape until it reached 100% and it wrote that the test passed(several tests).

About the PSU MODEL: GPS-400AA-101A, 400W

I carefully examined the motherboard but I didn't noticed any leakage or anything wrong...

(Again thank you for the response)

9. Support1

Support1 Geek Trainee

Do you hear any beeps at all when you turn your pc on?

10. LV2000

LV2000 Geek Trainee

Nope...

11. Support1

Support1 Geek Trainee

You can try the following:

- 'restore' your computer to a previous date when it was working properly: click Start, All Programs, then pick Accessories, System Tools, System Restore, then tick 'Restor My Computer to an Earlier Time', click Next, from the Calendar select a restore points, eg. if the problem started lets say on 3rd January, pick an available restore date before the 3rd January. Don't worry, you will not loose any recent work you've done.

OR if this doesn't work:
    - restart your computer using safe mode, by pressing F8 before Windows blue screen comes up and select the safe mode start up option.

12. Anti-Trend

How's he supposed to do these things if his system won't POST?

...Anyway, might want to look at the possibility of a bad PSU. That could certainly explain the issues you're seeing. Otherwise, it's a matter of troubleshooting components one at a time I'm afraid.

13. Support1

Support1 Geek Trainee

The initial message states "Sometimes when I start my computer....

14. Anti-Trend

Maybe I came across as a jerk, and if that's the case I apologize. But back on the technical issue. If it sometimes doesn't post, I'd say that's a primary symptom that Windows issues definitely can't be the root of. If one fixes the core problem, the Windows symptoms will probably be resolved also. If not, at least it'd be easier to troubleshoot at that point.