Hardware woes .... help?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ding.Chavez, May 1, 2002.

1. Ding.Chavez

Ding.Chavez Geek Trainee

Hi guys,

I have just bought some new computer parts and I am having some serious problems.

I spent lots of time researching the hardware bits and found a config that I like :

MotherBoard : MSI KT3 Ultra
    CPU: Amd 1900+ XP
    Cooler: Volcano 7+ thermalTake
    RAM: Corsair XMS 3000 256mg DDR
    HDD: Western Digital 60gigger
    CDROM: Creative 48x
    Vcard : leadtek winfast gf2 MX (32mg old)
    Case: Aopen h600a super middle tower 300 PSU

Now, the problem is, when I boot it up its all find, I goto the PC health in the bios and its idleing at 31c so its nice and cool.

When I boot the CDROM to isntall XP - it randomly freezes at spots here and there, like copying files, or deleting files or ... when its examining the HDD... but then somtimes it gets as far as the next step when you have to reboot works find and I get to the next stage of setup... but then freezes.

Is this a XP bug or do you think its this new PC I have made?

Any Ideas? Should I install win2k or 98?

Muchly Appreciated!

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The power supply may be the problem. 300 watts is borderline for a 1GHz+ Athlon. Also, you may want to plug that Volcano into the power supply with a 3-pin to 4-pin connector instead of a header on the motherboard if you're not doing that already. Failing that, I'd get ahold of a diagnostic utility from WD to see if the hard drive is bad. However, I don't really see that as the problem. It looks really like your system isn't getting enough juice. Antec, Sparkle or AOpen make good power supplies, and 350 watts should be plenty.

You could try Win2k, but it's most likely to give you the same results, as it is gonna be just as sensative to hardware issues as XP. 98 is less so than either, but that won't stop you from having problems.

The rest of the system looks good

3. Ding.Chavez

Ding.Chavez Geek Trainee

I have the Volcano 7+ going to a molex connecter from the PSU. The RPM monitoring yellow wire is going to the motherboard.

it is only a 300, perhaps I could stick a 400 or so in it...

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, a 400 watt shouldn't be too expensive and would most certainly be enough for the future. I picked up a 350 Antec for like $56 at Best Buy, and I've seen their 400 Watt version for around $84 elsewhere.

5. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

let us know how it turns out Ding.Chavez!? thanks

6. Ding.Chavez

Ding.Chavez Geek Trainee

After a long period of testing, I was actually the RAM! :)

It wasent set to 33kl or whatever it is in the bios..

Last place I looked.... obviously :)