HD-DVD and Blu-Ray AACS DRM Cracked?

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Impotence, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

###This is by no means condoning or condemning piracy!!!!#####
    I came up with a 3rd way to watch AACS protected movies in Kubuntu, download a copy from the P2P networks without the AACS encryption. Illegal but easy, with very little inconvenience.... surely thats the experience retailers need to duplicate.
    ###This is by no means condoning or condemning piracy!!!!#####

2. Addis

Addis The King

I had to chuckle at that, contradicted yourself a bit there Impy.

3. Impotence

The Pirates Are Out To Get You at Torrentfreak

ahh, but if i buy a copy on DVD and THEN download it.... surely thats fair use? (being able to watch it!!! lol).

anyway, i fail to see where the money comes from to fund terrorism when there are no charges for downloading files on P2P networks.... i guess there talking about the guy down the market with all the latest cinema releases on DVD :p (and i bet that just pays his beer money :D, which means... brewery's are terrorist training camps!!!1!!11!!0x21 [thats where the money eventually goes!])

read the comments on the torrentfreak page, the one from "CJ"...

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The problem with nearly all DRM crap is that it's making the assumption that all or 99.9% of consumers are pirating movies, media, etc. I don't have a problem with a company taking reasonable steps to prevent pirates, and I believe they should be doing this. Where I take issue is when I'm in their sights because I have 8.5GB of music I have a legal, hard copy of in purchased CD's and they don't want me to be able to be able to listen to them as convient for me. Same thing with DVD's, BD, or HD-DVD. It's like Sony's rootkit debacle or the Starforce copy-protection that does damage to a system software or hardware, respectively.

I got a chance to try out iTunes, and that's a great setup. My only complaint is that the M4P format requires you to convert it to a different format to listen to it elsewhere or rip it off a CD you compile. Apple has done a great job from my limited observation. It's laid out well and intuitive and doesn't make me feel like I'm a criminal.

5. Addis

Addis The King

I've never used iTunes, but I thought it used Apple's FairPlay DRM.

6. Impotence

I would say the problem with DRM is that it will only ever work if its proprietary, what effect is that going to have on FOSS?

(You cant have Open Source DRM, beacuse you can just look at the source code to see how its obfuscates the content, or even just strip the decryption stuff and stick it into something else, like cd burning software :p)