HD DVD vs Blu ray

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Anime and Manga' started by sjhaycroft, Nov 25, 2007.

1. rimmer

rimmer Geek

ah well, I may be wrong above, just read it somewhere on a youtube video compaison. I have an Xbox 360 and I see they had trouble fitting Assassin's Creed to the dual layer 10< gigabyte DVD, but had no trouble putting it on BlueRay for PS3, - the ONLY time I have actually been proved usefullness of the extra and usually wasted space on a BR Disc.

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Iy may be a little wasted at the minute but with games becoming bigger the extra space is going to be needed - why should game developers be held back by the limits of an 'old' (I use that term loosely) format when there's new formats available for the space needed?

I know having to choose between two formats is a tough one for the developers so can understand why they're sticking with the common format at the minute (DVD)

3. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Just a quick update. I found this in my CompTIA A+ book: HD DVD can hold 15-18 GB of data on each layer. Blu Ray Disc can hold 25 GB of data on each layer. So Blu Ray disc has a higher capacity, resulting in more space to save files and movies with a higher quality because there's more space on the disc.

But the quality is about the same as on a HD DVD, because otherwise a movie has to be re-encoded to be able to fit on the other disc format.

4. rimmer

rimmer Geek

games will probably still fit fine on a dual layer DVD for another 2 years at least I think.

The game developpers are surprisingly good at compressing the game content

5. Addis

Addis The King

Despite my preference for one format, I still don't want one format to win over another which results in poor quality for the consumer.

Warner have switched to blu-ray, but I wouldn't say it's quite over yet. Universal and Paramount are still big studios in my mind, but I don't know all that much about studios.

6. rimmer

rimmer Geek

personally, my original idea was going to be HD DVD for movies, and blue ray for storage

7. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

8. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

9. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

10. grow14me2

grow14me2 Goat Trainee

Well obviously HD has lost out in the battle. I am not sure there is much else to say in this. I hope you get a blue-ray. The quality is much better in my opinion too.

11. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

? this thread was a year old?