HD Video Poll

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Anime and Manga' started by syngod, Nov 21, 2006.

?

Which HD format will you goto?

1. HD-DVD

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Blu-Ray

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. Both HD-DVD & Blu-Ray

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. None I'll stick to DVD

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  5. I'll watch HD on cable/sat.

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  6. I'll stay with my rabbit ears getting 2 channels :)

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. syngod

syngod Moderator

Which format if any will you or have you upgraded to?

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

h264 with no DRM. :)

3. zeus

zeus out of date

lol, We havent even got digital telly! I think my dvd player will work a little while longer.

4. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

im thinking of downgrading to sony betamax

5. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

I am wanting to upgrade to HD, but to play anything like Blue-Ray or HD-DVD you need new dvd player / DVD Drive in your computer?, i should be upgrading to HD tv soon by getting an HD Enabled Tv tuner, and eventually and i want my parents to get me a 26" or 32" samsung HD tv, but aint SD-TV coming along thats better than HD-TV?

6. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Just got a new 32" LCD screen so I would like to try and go for the best possible quality.
    I am assuming it is HD-DVD.

7. zeus

zeus out of date

Isnt SD-TV Standard Defintion? I dont think its worth the money tbh. If I watched dvds n stuff maybe, but paying for a TV license is one thing, paying for the tv channels is another but paying for a good quality picture takes the piss imo.

8. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I'm all for blueray, it has much higher storage space and is supported by way more movie industries. I belive HD DVD is only backed by 3 so you'd be getting a pretty thin selection of releases that way.

9. syngod

syngod Moderator

Blu-Ray is catching upto HD-DVD in terms of quality although the HD-DVD releases tend to have more features (May be changing if Sony gets everyone their Blu-Wizard authoring tools).

Unless you buy both formats you won't get all the movies available as Universal is strictly HD-DVD and Fox, Sony, Disney and Lions Gate are Blu-Ray only. This may be changing though as it's heavily rumored Disney & LG will begin releasing for both formats next year.

As far as studio support I wouldn't count out Toshiba & Microsoft in the HD-DVD camp, after all considering Sony was going to crush them right off the bat they're still managing to sell alot more players and with disc sales their is a huge difference between the two. As of Nov. 13th their were roghly 35,000 HD-DVD players sold compared to 10,000 Samsung & Panasonic Blu-Ray players, so shareholders I'm sure are going to start pressuring all studios except for maybe Sony to release on both formats.

10. syngod

syngod Moderator

BTW if you want a cheap HD-DVD player it's been reported that with WinDVD 8 and a driver that can be found online the Xbox 360 HD-DVD addon will function fine on a pc or mac.

11. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

While HD DVD player may be selling well, because they've been out longer and are generally cheaper, I can really see the big breaker being that the PS3 is essentually a player, something that really helps to publicize and popularize the technology. It's something that's built in and you don't have to go and buy an awkward add on, there're a ton of people who would have bought the PS3 no matter what format it went with but if it's a BR player then they've had their decision more or less make for them and they don't need to go out and buy a more costly player. I think it was a good strategy for Sony that could really pay off, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

12. syngod

syngod Moderator

The only problem with the PS3 though is the lack of a compnent or HDMI cable in the box. Because of this how many average consumers are going to hook up the system with the composite cable they did include and say they can't see the difference between HD and SD content.

13. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

yeah that was a dumb move on Sony's part with the composite, it just makes uniformed consumers thinking they make a bad purchase in some cases. I know a lot of people won't even notice and just will themselves to see the PS3 difference regardless of what's really going on but I think a component cable or discount coupon for a HDMI cable or something would've made a lot more sense.

14. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Thats pathetic what sony did, afterall, composite is really bad quality aint it? i tried it once with my xbox on my tv tuner, was awfull.

15. syngod

syngod Moderator

Yeah composite is only one level above coax and below S-Video, Component and HDMI-DVI. So for a system hyping 1080p you'd think they'd at least include a component cable. When I can get decent component cables for $5.00 CDN for my business I'm sure Sony could've easily thrown one in but were to cheap to do so.

Or on the other hand leave out Talledegga Night since without buying an HD capable cable it's not going to look better than an SD-DVD anyway and include an HDMI hookup.

16. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well said

actually betamax was better than VHS

me too, but my excuse is: i'm tight (don't like spending money)

17. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

well while on the topic of HD, i cannot wait till SED tv's come out, and HDMI is a little overrated, and DVI and i'm pretty sure even VGA inputs can produce the same resolutions as HDMI only they can't send digital audio through the cable as well, obviously.

18. syngod

syngod Moderator

The only problem is VGA inputs aren't encrypted with HDCP so I can't think of a single studio who would be willing to support it, especially since they're still mulling Image Token Constraint which would remove component cables from being able to display HD content.

19. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

8 track FTW.