HDD "Disk Write Failed"

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by kirya, Feb 11, 2009.

1. kirya

kirya Geek Trainee

Hi,

So I have had my computer for about 6 months, specs are below, and the past couple weeks I have been getting random "Disk Failed to Write" errors from a random assortment of programs and files. Sometimes its at startup, a few minutes after startup or just after a couple hours. Sometimes I wont get it for awhile, days. Whenever I get it I generally have to restart the computer or if it persists I switch the SATA port that its in, from like 1 to 2 and so on. This will work for a couple of hours or a couple of days. I also get some BSOD but I cant catch the error reports in time to see what it says. So what do you think? HDD dieing? Motherboard finicking? Thanks for your help.

Specs:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
    Nvidia GeFore 9800 GTX
    BioStar TP43D2-A7
    Corsair Ram 4 GB 800
    HDD Western Digital ATA SATA II 500 GB

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Welcome to HWF :)

To be able to view the information in the blue screen correctly, follow these steps to prevent it from automatically restarting. Then write down the error message here.

re it will tell you enough about itself to let you troubleshoot further. To change the recovery settings to disable automatic rebooting:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Advanced tab.

3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

5.Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

3. kirya

kirya Geek Trainee

Thanks, changed it. I'll write it down next time :).

4. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Good luck :)
    When you see a blue screen, then especially take a look at 2 things:

1. Most blue screens contain an error message with underscores, like PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and in most cases also a number, like 0x000008. Take a note of such a message.
    2. If it's driver related, you might also see some files listed (especially ending with .sys). Take a note of those files if they would appear.