Headset Issue

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by Nysethm, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Nysethm

Nysethm Geek Trainee

Hi there, I just recieved my Sonic HP-259 headset today from newegg.com today and I am having quite an interesting problem. Lemme explain, the headphones themself work great and sound good. But now when I plug in the mic I get this constant high pitched squeal. Then I noticed if i put my hand on my case, (thermaltake xaser iii, Steel version) the squealing goes away. What in the hell is this all about? Do I have some grounding issue or what?

Thanks to anyone who helps :)

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

It does sound like a grounding issue. Does the mic work when your hand is on the chassis? Are you plugged into the top riser of the Xaser III, or the sound card itself (in the back)?

3. Nysethm

Nysethm Geek Trainee

Yes the the Annoying sound goes away when i put my hand on it, I've plugged it into both and still the same thing.

4. Anti-Trend

Verify that the connections between the riser and your sound card are solid (and connected properly), then check for any shorts. The best way to do this is with a continuity tester or a multimeter. If you don't have one of those, just unplug the header altogether and see if you still have the problem when you plug the headphones into the sound card.

5. Nysethm

Nysethm Geek Trainee

I had it unplugged when I first Tried it, then i got the idea of plugging the riser in and same thing happened.

6. Anti-Trend

Do you have an integrated sound card, or an add-on? If an add-on, which make/model?

7. Nysethm

Nysethm Geek Trainee

It's Integrated onto the motherboard

8. Anti-Trend

That's probably your whole problem. With the exception of nForce chipset motherboards, most integrated sound cards are of sub-standard quality. If I was you, I'd consider adding a decent sound card to your rig and disabling onboard sound. You'll drastically improve your sound quality and remove the headset issue simultaneously. If you want to keep using the integrated sound though, you should dig out the manual for your motherboard and see if you can locate the audio-related jumpers. Make sure they're all set to the proper settings for what you are trying to do; your problem may be just a jumper-related routing issue.

-AT

9. Nysethm

Nysethm Geek Trainee

I have an nForce 3 250 Chipset, not that it matters though. Everything else seems to work just great, my 5.1 surround, etc.. etc.. But im not gonna waste 40-50 bucks on a new soundcard for a 10 dollar headset. I guess I should have took the time and invested in a nice set. Thanks for your help.

10. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

You do not need to invest in anything yet, you merely need to do what AT has suggested and double check that your audio jumpers on the board are set correctly, and that your motherboard is properly and securely connected to the case.

One jumper wrong and it can cause all sorts of errors.