Headset screwed up sound.

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by RockDiesel, Oct 30, 2006.

1. RockDiesel

RockDiesel Geek Trainee

Ok, so here is the deal. It may be a little long, but I want to explain the whole series of events.

BTW, I have Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS

Earlier today, I unplugged everything from my computer, opened it up, used some compressed air to blow out some dust, put the case back together, plugged everything back in and turned it on.

I logged on my computer and noticed I had my USB headset plugged in and the startup sound went through my headset. I let everything start up and said, Oh I'll just fix that by unplugging USB headset. Unplugged it and Voila, no sound. So I said to myself again, no problem, I will just restart because that solves a lot of problems. Restarted, and Voila, No Sound.

Well, if restarting doesn't work then reinstalling must do the job. Uninstalled everything related to Creative that I had on my computer, got my CD and reinstalled. Restarted, and voila, no sound. I thought to myself, maybe if I plug my headset back in and try another way to uninstall it I will get my sound back. I plugged it back in, it was detected, and sound started coming from my headset. Awesome, I said, and unplugged it, and voila, no sound.

After searching this forum, some people have been having trouble with onboard audio so I restarted entered CMOS, disabled it, and restarted. Still, no sound. I have tried muting, unmuting, disabling, enabling, unplugging, etc... everything and nothing seems to work.

The moral of the story, my sound doesn't work anymore ever since I unplugged this headset.

One more question, how come with this USB headset everytime I unplug it the same USB port won't detect it when I plug it back in again. I have to use another port and it reinstalls itself.

2. Crusha19

Crusha19 Aspiring Poker Player

Well lets see what is going on here. Go to control panel anc click on sounds and audio devices. Go to the audio tab and make sure the correct device is listed in the top box. If it is click on advanced and make sure that you have the correct speaker set up selected. Post the results

3. RockDiesel

RockDiesel Geek Trainee

Thanks for the reply, I was beginning to worry that no one ever checks this forum.

I checked the settings, everything is correct. I have 5.1 speakers and it was setup for 5.1 speakers. Nothing is muted, deselected, etc... At least nothing I can find. If I plug in the headset and turn the device to headset, sound will play out of the headset. When I switch it back to the speakers, no sound comes out. So the sound card isn't busted.

Like I said in the first post, the only thing I did was unplug my speakers and plug them back in + my headset was plugged into USB. When I turned my PC back on I noticed the sound coming out of the headset, so I unplugged it. That is when all the problems happened.

It almost seems like the USB won't free up the audio, and send it back to the speakers when the headset is unplugged. Not sure, if something like that can happen, but like i said, sound will come out of the headset, so its not the sound card.

4. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

You might also try to remove the drivers of your USB Headseat and then restart ur computer to see if that works...
    [ot]
    I think people does read this forum but they only reply if they have answers to the question..... u can look at the number of views![/ot]

5. Crusha19

I know that this may seem simple, but do you have the cables plugged in correctly. If you do maybe try a different set of cables and see if that is the problem

6. RockDiesel

RockDiesel Geek Trainee

This may be a dumb question, but USB devices have drivers? I didn't think they had drivers, that is why they are universal. Let me know where I might find these drivers.

Crusha, I looked at the cables. No tears, cuts, or anything. Plugged them back in, color coded, so they are in the right jacks.

7. Crusha19

Right click on my computer and go to hardware. Click on device manager and go through the list that pops up and find the headset drivers and remove them

8. RockDiesel

RockDiesel Geek Trainee

did that, no sound from the speakers. i checked to make sure sound was set to my sound card and it was, but still nothing from the speakers. i have used the headset before and had no problems, but for some reason when i unplugged everything this time and then plugged it all back in, everything went haywire.

9. Karanislove

Try this, remove your sound card and and check it with another computer..It could be the sound card problem...

[ot]
    Nope! not all the devices works straight away... for eg my Nokia6680. I need to install PC Suite, which installs USB drivers automatically for mobile, otherwise computer doesnt detect the device properly. Its same with the wireless internet modems as well. U've to install drivers before it works.... But yea, most ot things works straight away now a these days.....
    As u said, thats y its called universal then its same universal in windows 98 as well, where u've to install the drivers for everything...
    Edit: Oh just strike this into my mind that I think this universal actually means that you can plug nearly all the devices with this port..I think :eek:hah:
    [/ot]

10. RockDiesel

RockDiesel Geek Trainee

I do not have another computer at the moment that I can check it with. I just don't understand how it could be a sound card problem if sound is being produced through the headset, but not the speakers. I figured it would only be a sound card problem with no sound at all. Let me know if you have any other suggestions, because I don't have another computer to check the card in.

Thanks for your time.

11. Karanislove

Remove ur sound card, enable the onboard audio and see if that works 4 u or not. It might give some hint that if its ur sound card problem...

12. Crusha19

The USB headset doesnt have anything with the sound card (at least i dont think it does) it all goes through the USB port. Do like the other guy said and try with onboard sound and see if it works

13. RockDiesel

RockDiesel Geek Trainee

Crusha, are you saying USB has its own sound then? its got to be getting it from the sound card, at least I would think it would. I am not technical with hardware though. however, i would think if i have onboard turned off then the only other way sound would produce is through the soundcard. Let me try turning onboard back on then i will get back and let you know.

14. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

USB speakers/headphones are kinda rare, so you probably do need to provide a driver.

A driver is a necessary piece of software to provide the OS with a means of communicating with it. Usually, there's at least a generic driver with the OS to get you going. However, for more control and/or greater functionality, and somtimes performance, the manufacturer's driver is necessary.

Your USB headphones don't have any interaction with your sound card, and to simplify things you might disable the sound card in Device Manager.

Check your manual for the headphones. If the OS doesn't have initial support for the USB device, you may have to install the driver first, then plug the 'phones in. I've never dealt with any USB audio devices before, but I can't imagine them installing differently. Still, check your manual for the installation.

15. RockDiesel

RockDiesel Geek Trainee

Ok, so I finally got around to messing with my computer again after a busy couple days. What I did was take out the sound card and place it in another PCI slot. I turned on the computer and it works now. I have sound coming out of my speakers now. It is nice to hear sound again, but what I would like to know is why it stopped working in the other PCI slot? Any Ideas?

Also, thanks for everyones help and patience.

16. Crusha19

It could be that the PCI slot died, or maybe the card was not seated properly.

17. RockDiesel

RockDiesel Geek Trainee

I sure hope the PCI slot didn't die because this comp was just built like 3 months ago. Anyway to test the slot besides putting something in it?

18. Crusha19

well if you have a PCI network card or something else that is PCI put it in and see if it works, if it doesnt the slot is probably dead

19. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It could be an IRQ or other resource conflict the way it sounds.

20. RockDiesel

RockDiesel Geek Trainee

how would i check that?