[Help] 3 Hard Drives ALL with Bad Sectors

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by firedemon, Jul 17, 2009.

1. firedemon

firedemon Geek Trainee

Hello there,

I make this post in order to find out whats wrong with a friends computer, In the last few months he has bought 3 different hard drives (SATA):

1. Western Digital 500gb
    2. Replaced Western Digital 500gb
    3. Brand New Hitachi 1tb

The first went bad within the first three months so he got it replaced, the replacement lasted approximately 2 months, and the New Hitachi... 30 days. All the HD's had bad sectors on Partition "C:"

His computer specs are as follows:

500 Watt PS
    Gforce 8800GT
    Intel Quad Core Q6600
    4GB DDR2

The first 2 drives had Windows Vista 64-bit on "C:", and The Hitachi had Windows 7 64-bit. He also has an External IDE HD that has never had any problems. He cant afford to be buying and sending Hard drives back and forth and its pretty frustrating to keep having to loose data over and over again. Any help as to what the cause of this is and/or solution will be GREATLY appreciated.

If More information is needed i will gladly post it, thanks in advance;

~Fire

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

1. That's the make and model of the PSU?
    2. How's the airflow over the HDD?
    3. Is the HDD hot to the touch?
    4. Is the CPU overclocked?
    5. Has he tested his RAM overnight with Memtest86+?

Also, I would recommend that your friend try for a Seagate HDD next. In my experience, they have the lowest failure rate by far VS other brands.

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

as with Win, viruses / malware / rootkits are always a possibility, what have you scanned with ?
    yeah, my system won't let me buy anything else

4. HardwareAffair

HardwareAffair Geek Trainee

Great suggestions by Anti-Trend. Check the RAM (memtest86+) and CPU (prime95) and make sure they're both running stable. Are you running into any other issues? Blue screens, freezes, or anything like that?