HELP! DVI+Audio to HDMI/HD Component Switch/Hub

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Aeltrius, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Aeltrius

Aeltrius Geek Trainee

I can't find a specific type of equipment that I would like to have. Here's the situation:

What I have:
    Desktop w/ dual DVI out from the vid card (512 Mb, 256 bit, GDDR4)
    1080P DLP+ 57 inch TV (has 1 x coaxial, 3 x composite, 3 x component and 3 x HDMI in)
    Digital (non HD) 37 inch tube with 1 x coxial and 3 x composite (A/V) in)
    2 LCD's for my computer.

Here's what I would like to do...

Have a switch that has a DVI+Audio in (from my computer) and multiple outs consisting of either DVI+Audio or HDMI so that I can send the computer picture and sound to any one of my displays at any given time.

I would prever HDMI or HD component out since its much easier to find HDMI/Component to xxx converters than DVI+Audio to xxx converters. I would use an HDMI to composite converter for the Digital TV, an HDMI to dual DVI+Audio converter for the two desktop monitors and my computer surround sound system, and an HDMI straight into the TV for the HD TV.

So, essentially, I need the opposite of the typical television switch/receiver. Instead of multiple, switchable inputs with a single output, I need a device with a single input and multiple, switchable outputs.

If anyone knows of and even better, has a link to such a piece of equipment, I would be forever in your debt if you could help me find it.

2. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

i'm a little short on time at the moment, but look through this website, they pretty much have every cable/switch/whatever imaginable at the best prices around, with really good service. On a side note, the best you'll probably be able to do is get a cable where the audio cable runs inside the DVI cable, or, more specifically, they are in the same housing, as DVI will not carry audio signals.

SF Cable

3. Aeltrius

Aeltrius Geek Trainee

Thanks. I used the website you listed to find the type of product, though not the specific product I wanted, but it sent me in the right direction, so thank you!

SF Cable: 4 Port HDMI Multiplier, Support 1080p w/Power supply

but it was a multiplier, not a switch, so it requires a power supply and consumes more power.

Then, I found this bi-directional DVI-HDMI converter cable for only $10

DVI to HDMI Cable, 3 ft. (Free Shipping* )

Which I'm going to buy 2 of, one for the input from my computer and one for the output to the monitors.

I'm still at a loss for the HDMI to composite converter, though. The cheapest ones I've found are over $130.