Help plz lol

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by xxcobraxx, Jan 25, 2005.

1. xxcobraxx

xxcobraxx Geek Trainee

:good: Hi guys I am From Blackpool and i am asking about internet connections, i dont no if this is the wrong place but if it is can you move this thread to the write place to help me and others thnx.

Any way i have just got a new pc and what i do is use my old pc and my PS2 to go online they both go online at the same time normally because i am using a SWITCH-LINK, well what it is ever since i have this new computer, i have hooked the enthernet cable to the new computer and following on into my switch then my other enthernet cable goes out my SWITCH into my modem box (Brdband Box) and then another enthernet cable out my swicth into the pc, and another going to my ps2, my proplem is when i turn my PS2 on and my new pc it wont go online, then if i turn my PS2 off the new pc will, the old pc with the ps2 online works ok its just my new pc wont,: E.G. i wont switch my new pc on go on the internet and use my other pc and go on the internet they both work fine then switch my ps2 on the ps2 wont go online but then if i switch my new PC off then leaving the old PC on the PS2 goes online, I now need to no how to solve the proplem so i am asking nice could someone plz sort this out, I may need a router will that be the proplem.

Thnx alot guys in ADVANCED.

I am from Blackpool, plz post on this TOPIC, i am from computerforums.org aswell.
    Thnx again sorry about the 1000 Letter SA. lol

2. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

The problem is i suspect is that your switch will only allow 2 connections at once, ie: your old pc and your ps2, not your oldpc + ps2 + newpc.

I would highly recommend getting a 5 port Switch

(i presume by Switch-Link) you mean a 2 port ethernet hub, not a switching-hub made by link?

3. xxcobraxx

xxcobraxx Geek Trainee

it is a 4 port, o well would a router do the thing.

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

if you want to get a router try the Netgear DG834! it makes things much easier to manage.

5. xxcobraxx

xxcobraxx Geek Trainee

i just want to no will it work with a router, or something

6. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Make sure your not using the Uplink connection if there is one..

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

From what I can tell, you need a router in the mix, because it has some extra functions the switch doesn't have. All the switch does is switch between data streams so that each stream has full access. That's it. A router, is much more advanced and is a necessary negotiator for broadband.

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Unless the cable/DSL modem has one built in, you need to make one or buy one.

If you've got any old PC and 2 network cards, you can get something like Smoothwall for free and install that router software on it. Otherwise, you'll need to purchase it. You could try to use Internet Connection Sharing, but that's provided you have Windows XP, and that's a severely limited system.

9. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

yes it will!