HELP! Windows "forgets" and uninstalls drivers after reboot!

Discussion in 'Drivers and Firmware' started by ecstacyofgold, Aug 30, 2004.

1. ecstacyofgold

ecstacyofgold Geek Trainee

I have a Creative Webcam Go ES webcam that has always worked fine. However, last week I installed drivers for a HP iPAQ Pocket PC so I can sync to my computer. Both of these use USB to connect. However, since then my Webcam is not recognized by windows, but the drivers are still installed. I unplug, and plug back in and I get the "USB Device Not Recognized" float. When I reinstall the drivers, my webcam starts working again but as soon as I reboot (and sometimes without rebooting) my system will "forget" about my webcam and revert back to it being Unrecognized. All this without even connecting my PPC to my computer. I have tried using a different USB port as well. This is very teadous reinstalling drivers every time I want to use my cam. Any help? Thank you so much in advance!

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Do you know if the HP cam works fine on another system?

Have you tried a different USB cable? A bad cable can cause problems like this.

3. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

hehe. this stuff happens to my mass-infected comp downstairs all the time. How about running an antivirus scan from trend micro. http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    Even if you have an antivirus, it may not be detecting any virus. Try running that scanner and then reinstalling the drivers and booting.

4. ecstacyofgold

ecstacyofgold Geek Trainee

Thanks for replying guys (or gals). I have not tried another USB cable because I just couldn't attribute that to being the problem since the device works fine (on my desktop and my laptop), and when it doesn't work my OS still recognizes that its being plugged in. I'm running the virus scan right now but assuming that doesn't make a difference, is there anything else anyone can think of?

5. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Hmm, sounds like XP's System Restore feature to me... try turning off system restore and then reinstalling the drivers.

6. Addis

Addis The King

That reminds me of the time i left my SD card reader drivers on the SD card!