Help with upgrading a less than mediocre Lenovo H215

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Hayden Souder, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Hayden Souder

Hayden Souder Geek Trainee

I bought a surplus Lenovo H215 from a local business awhile back for $2o. I'm super happy with the deal I got, I just need to make it something worth having. I'm new to the process of upgrading computers, so I want to make sure the parts I buy are compatible. What I've been able to figure out is that I should only have to add another 2 or 4 gb of ram, a new video card, and a better power supply. I know that the ram I need is ddr3, but is there anything else I need to know to make sure it is compatible? Also, how do I know if the power supply and the video card are compatible?

This is my first post here, so I hope I'm not putting it in the wrong place. It is dealing with two different subjects, so I figured the general hardware forum was a fitting place.

2. Hayden Souder

Hayden Souder Geek Trainee

A bit of additional information-
    My computer has an integrated video card on the motherboard and a PCI slot. It also has two slots for ram cards, so I won't have to remove the one card that's in there already.

3. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Upgrade depends on how much you want to invest. I go here for maximum upgrade way.

You take from that computer:

- Hard disk
    - Motherboard
    - DVD drive
    - Memory stick(s)
    - Card reader

+ keyboard, mouse + other externals

You buy (new or used):

- AM3 CPU quad core that is 95W TDP
    - PSU
    - Case
    - Video card
    - 4GB more memory
    - SSD

That's pretty much as you can do. Then it's only question of how much you are willing to pay.