Help with watercooling delta

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by MagR, Jul 8, 2012.

1. MagR

MagR Geek Trainee

Hi

I'm about to try a watercooling loop in my system. It is mainly to calm down the heat and noise of my sli GPU's but I will probably put my Sandy bridge CPU in the loop as well.

I've been researching the subject for a couple of weeks now and have one fundamental question remaining. When planning the cooling requirements (size of radiators, speed of fans) I've found various tables from Martin's and Skinee's labs to help. However the aim seems to be to get the water delta (water temp at radiator outlet minus ambient air temp) to 10 degrees centigrade.

I cannot find any explanation as to why 10 degrees should be used rather than any other figure (bit suspicious when we use decimal systems that this is arbitrary). I am assuming it is the point where components will be well cooled and any further reductions will need disproportionate increases in radiator size/fan speed (law of diminishing returns).

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is there any scientific backup to support the 10 degree delta?

Thanks in advance

Mag