Help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ProcalX, Mar 27, 2004.

1. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

hey all.. turns out motherboard was faulty so i sent it back.. got another one, works perfectly.. set my brothers machine up.. installed an old ge-force2 mx 32mb (agp) installed XP on it fine.. runs dos fine..

cpu is running fine..

so's memory..

have no errors.. but when i am trying to boot to windows.. it gets to the windows xp pro loading bar.. loads like usual.. then looks as if its going to load into windows.. but it just shows a black screen.. the monitor is on.. all hdd's are running fine...

you think its the graphics card being so old?

i havn't used it for bout 2 yrs.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Was it the same motherboard (i.e. ABCmobo 123A for ABCmobo 123A)? If not, that's the problem. Windows doesn't like to have mobos swapped out from under it, so you can either do a repair install or reinstall Windows. I recommend the latter for less hassle in the long run.

3. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

well i built the whole machine from scratch.. including formatting the hdd.. but i will do a clean install anyway.. as its running dos.. and xp boot up fine..

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

You should also delete all the partitions and make new ones.

5. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

and, does it have onboard video?

6. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

never had it happen to me before but i installed XP pro using a a ati 8500 64mb

then changed the grphx card to a nvidia ge-force 2 because the 8500 was having some problems cos it was f*cked.

rebooted and nothign worked :|

so i had to do a clean install of XP pro.

now its fine.