hitchiker's guide to the galaxy

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Anime and Manga' started by ninja fetus, May 2, 2005.

1. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Very good movie, anyone seen it? I saw it the release day april 29th.

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I've seen it, thought it was quite funny in parts. Interesting that those big ugly creatures were people costumes rather than CGI.

3. ninja fetus

heh, the babel fish! My friend who's read 4 of the books said they didn't quite follow the first and added parts of 3rd and 4th into the first. Like goodbye and thanks for the fish or something like that is the 4th book

4. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

4th book is "So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish."

I didn't expect the film would follow the books too closely, very rare to find films that do these days.

5. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

I havnt seen it yet but ill be watching it soon

6. Addis

Addis The King

Just saw it today. It was good and funny in parts. I wonder what OS the ship used.
    Especially funny when the mice are just about to be squashed "oh bollocks!".

7. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

probably some souped up version of xp...

the books are the best read i've had in a long time, cept maybe harry potters

8. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

its hilarious

9. ninja fetus

I haven't read the books, nor heard about them before the movie. *crawls out of hole*

I will see it again.

10. Fred

Fred Moderator

I hate to seem like the jerk, but I saw it today and... it isn't very good. I only found a few parts funny (only a little) and the graphics were far from impressive. Did I miss something here? I've never read the books so maybe I needed to - to appreciate it?

11. ninja fetus

you need to read or it atleast know quite a bit to get the book. Like the towel part. Towels are like duct tape to the US as towels are to the universe. Towels can absorb good, keep you warm+dry, ward off evil vorgons.

12. Fred

Fred Moderator

Yeah, that's something I didn't know... but it also isn't really a thing that bothered me. Just something about that movie... It just was hardly funny to me.

13. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

u have to be in the know about alot of things to get alot of jokes, it kinda parodies alot thats goin on now

14. Addis

Addis The King

I'm gonna read the books in the series.

15. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

I might read the books, but id have to go to the library coz im not actually paying for them :p

16. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I saw the TV show a long time ago (it was taped obviously as it was on in the early 80's I think) and liked that alot. I thought the movie was pretty cool but some of the characters were just wrong compaired to the TV show (which was very accurate). Marvin especially, he looked totally different and more cubic in the TV show, there's actually a 2 second glimpse of the origional Marvin in one scence of the movie, can't remember darn it. I liked the vogon costumes, those guys looked so stupid, it was awesome.
    Yeah, you really have to have been previoulsy exposed to the series in some way to enjoy the movie Fred, there's a lot of stuff I would never have gotten otherwise. Some guy in the movies with me didn't have a clue what was going on, he saw the dolphin in the beginning and asked what movie he was watching, then if it was a preview for flipper 2, then he just got up and left.
    You also can't take the special effects seriously, it sort of goes with the wackiness and randomosity of the book, I guess it's meant to look sort of cheap and awkward.
    Well that's my 2 pennies anyway.

17. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I agree, it was such a mad-dash through the content that I think it really came across as a jumbled mess to those not familiar with the late Mr. Adams' work. Incidentally I was a fan of HHGTTG already, so I enjoyed the movie fairly well and thought it was an equitable adaptation of the books. At least, in as much as it could have been on that particular media. IMHO the radio show was already the second most perfect media to convey this story besides the original literature itself. Too much of the humor in Douglas' writing demands that you have been reading and paying attention to all the details leading up until the humor, which could have been seeded in some seemingly trivial text from several chapters back. In other words, the movie was a well-executed but not ideal way to experience the Hitchhiker series. If I hadn't read the books, I would have been pretty disgusted. This being said, once you've read it for yourself, you may in fact find some enjoyment in the movie.

-AT

18. Fred

Fred Moderator

Ok, then it's just me... Good, so there's not all this hype over a stupid movie.

19. Cooper

Cooper Geek Trainee

I've read all the books, and I thought for the most part, they did a decent job. It did kind of trail off, but for the most part the plot was similar to the book.

20. Foxy

Foxy Geek Trainee

they're the best books i've ever read. And they are 100x better than the movie. Although the movie is very random and quite funny. Don't like the way they made the two headed creature (can't remember his name). Thought the heads would be side by side not one on top of the other