Home folder will not open.

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by DavidNW, Dec 5, 2009.

1. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Hi,

I can't open the Home folder in Ubuntu 9.10. Here's a screenshot of the error message.

Is there a way I could fix this as the system was running fine this morning?

Thanks,

David.

Attached Files:

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Looks like you're using Gnome. Nautilus is the default file manager in Gnome -- is nautilus installed?

3. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Yes, I'm running Gnome. Nautilus was installed, but I reinstalled it just now to see if it would put things right - but it has not. Have done a little research and there is a school or two of thought that the problem is bug-related. I'll look some more and will post back if I find a solution.

4. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Does this only happen with your home folder? If that's the case, maybe something changed the folder into a file (some UNIX attribute maybe)...
    When you open a Terminal window, does the prompt say 'david'?

5. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Hi Guys,

Found the solution. The parent folder (which in my case is 'david' did not have a program opening facility linked to it. Odd, because only this morning it did! I simply had to re-apply a program opening facility to it. I just applied File Manager.

Solution as follows courtesy of "Wryless 2002" on Ubuntu Forums:
    ........................................................................................................................
    Re: Could not open location 'file:///

Echodeck,

"I had this problem after I upgraded to 8.10, Intrepid Ibex, and it seems to be a loss of file (type) associations. Just like it says, there's no program associated with that link, which is literally just a "folder", so it doesn't know what program to use to open a "folder" with. After reading this post and around 50 more, I wandered into this fix.

Press ALT+F2 and type nautilus then press "ENTER" (remember,lower case) to get into the file manager. You should be in /home/Echodeck (or your username) already. Click the "UP ARROW" on the tool bar, that opens the parent folder (or erase the username so that you only have location: /home showing in the address bar and press "ENTER"). Now you should be in the /home folder, and looking at a list of the usernames if you have several, at least one of them, a folder named Echodeck (or, you guessed it, your username). right click on it, select "PROPERTIES" at the bottom. You should get a pop up menu box that says Echodeck Properties, click on the "Open With" tab. I got an empty box that said "select an application to open Echodeck and files of type "folder". Click on "ADD" at the bottom and then scroll down to File Browser and select it from the list of programs. Click "CLOSE".

Hopefully, the problem was really just that simple, and you're done.

If someone else reads this this and can give the quick and clean command line instructions to get to this point, please do. CLI is still a little foreign to me, and it's not first nature yet, but I'm sure much more surgically precise."
    ........................................................................................................................