How do i repair tcp/ip in windows xp

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by paulatreboot, Sep 18, 2004.

1. paulatreboot

paulatreboot Geek Trainee

Cant get ip address from dhcp server ?

Hi

Having problems on some pcs with xp, cant connect to network and when trying do repair it comes back with message cant get ip address and sometimes you get a yellow triangle over local area connection icon on task bar, ive seen this on 3 computers now and the only way i could get rid of it was to restore to an earlier time, can anyone please help!
    :chk:

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Is this a hard-wired network, or a wireless one? Is SP2 intalled on the clients?

-AT

3. paulatreboot

i think it happened after putting service pack two on and it has happened on both but when i uninstalled service pack 2 it was still like it

4. Anti-Trend

Unfortunately, many people have reported similar problems to yours which are caused by SP2. Worse, SP2 essentially cannot be uninstalled once installed. You might however try disabling XP's built-in firewall, and see if that helps (it probably wont... :( )

5. paulatreboot

thanx for that, but i have already tried that, tried everything i know, its a pain because when it decides to do it i loose internet and networks, and there must be a quick fix for it, one of the pcs that had the problem had to be reloaded :swt: i wont rest untill i find the answer, the only other thing i can say is that all 3 pcs had broadband

Cheers

Paul..............................

6. paulatreboot

Hi

Does anyone out there know how to repair tcp/ip in windows xp networking

7. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I'm not sure what you mean but in Network Connections > Connection Name
    double click on it, then select the support tab, theres a repair option there!

8. Anti-Trend

Are you behind a router, or are the machines directly connected to the Internet?

9. Anti-Trend

What the repair option does is basically reset your DHCP-granted IP address, if you're set for DHCP. It's the same as running ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew, if you're familiar with older forms of NT.

10. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

cool :) I was just wondering what he ment...

11. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Still Works in XP and is what I do when I troubleshoot my network btw.

12. paulatreboot

hi still having problem, so i putanother pc together and put 2000 on it so i could get on the net, my laptop still having same problem, its a p43Ghz 512 ram with netgear wireless usb adaptor and running winxp with sp2 my router is d-link dsl-604+ wireless, im running norton i/security 2003 and even with windows firewall disabled and norton i still get limited connectivity and no ip address which stops me going on the net, im going to give up trying soon and wipe and reload, i dont know whether to put sp2 on customers pcs now or not and would really like to know how to solve this problem

cheers

paul...........................

13. Anti-Trend

OK, this is definately one of those horror-story SP2 problems. Lots of people are having the same problem as you are. Personally, I recommend Windows 2000 (or Linux) just because of QA issues with XP, like the one you're experiencing. However, there may be a possible fix for you!
    Hope this helps...

-AT

14. Takezo

Takezo Geek Trainee

before you do any thing ping the loop back port. Ping 127.0.0.1 or ping the IP address that you have assigned to your computer. This will tell if TCP/IP is running properly. The loopback is the basics of the basics, I wonder why no one mentioned it. The loop back will not be able however to tell you if you have a bad cable or nics.

In my experience. NICs don't usualy go bad, the most common cause for Network inconnectivity are result of bad cables, improper IP address assignment, or router configurations.

A yelow ! in a triangle in the taskbar usualy means IP address conflict. Or in other words two or more computers have the same IP address. When an IP conflict happens you will not be able to ping. If you get it again, click on it and read the error, it's better than wondering around in the dark.

You have to be able to ping first. Ping checks the physical layer, datalink layer, and network layer of OSI model. That is half way up the OSI model. That is why ping is so useful.

If you have DHCP (like on a cable/DSL router make sure that all IP adresses are set to Obtain IP address Automaticaly.) This is Windows XP's default if no changes were made during setup. The DHCP server shuold also be setup by default on the router.

But in the case of a network connected via hub or switch. Make sure all static IPs are set properly.

15. paulatreboot

Hip Hip Horayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Hi all thanx for your helping me try and repair the cant get ip address from dhcp server

ive stumbled across a new repair funtion in sp2

netsh winsock show catalog

netsh winsock reset catalog

it works

It Works
    It Works
    It Works
    It Works
    It Works
    It Works
    It Works
    It Works
    It Works
    It Works
    It Works

Cheers Paul...................................

16. Anti-Trend

No problem, Paul! Glad we could help out.

All the best,
    -AT