How Do I Reset Bios Password!!

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by pctechnics, Nov 29, 2005.

1. pctechnics

pctechnics Geek Trainee

hi,

can anyone help me? i have just purchased a second hand Sony VAIO PCG-Z600 HEK from a computer fair but the problem is that the previous owner had installed a bios password. so on startup it straight away asks me to input the bios password. i cant even get into the bios to be able to format the hard drive or anything! i purchased this laptop for the purpose of stripping down and selling the parts but as it seems in excellant condition i thought it might be worth rescuing it.
    would taking out the cmos battery for 15 mins and then replacing it reset the bios at all or am i just talking gibberish!! (someone mentioned this but im not so sure)

if anyone can help then i would be very gratefull,

cheers, scott

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

One piece of critical info we need is the make of the BIOS itself. Pheonix, American Megatrends, Award, etc.

3. pctechnics

pctechnics Geek Trainee

hi, i believe it is pheonix

4. Addis

Addis The King

Resetting the CMOs should clear it, you could reset it by taking out the battery, although theres a proper jumper method on most motherboards.

5. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Addis, it's a laptop. Usually not that straightforward, especially since it's a Sony.

Try these universal Pheonix BIOS passwords (they're case-sensitive): phoenix, PHOENIX, Pheonix, CMOS, BIOS, 1234567, or xinoehp

If none of those work, there are other ways which are more work. Let me know if any of them does the trick.

-AT

6. pctechnics

pctechnics Geek Trainee

thanks guys, i will give that a try and let you know.

7. smileysnowflak

smileysnowflak Geek Trainee

Hi I have the same problem on my Fujitsu Siemens S7110 and I have tried the backdoor passwords you have offered to no avail. any other suggestions?

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

Lifebook's use their own password[ot]i think[/ot]try
    BTW: make sure the <Caps Lock> is off

9. smileysnowflak

Hi i have tried that with no luck. anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank

:swear: remove th CMOS / BIOS battery for 2 minutes then[ot]but it may need to be remove for longer, but try 2 mins first[/ot]BTW: manual here

Edit: will look later, got to go now

11. smileysnowflak

Hi do you know where the CMOS battery will be as I have looked through the manual from the link you gave but can't see a diagram where the CMOS battery is.

12. donkey42

donkey42 plank

so, far i think you need to contact Fujitsu; Here but i'm still looking as you can only get help from fujitsu if the lappy is under warranty[ot]can't you find out password by calling whoever you bought it from ?[/ot]will continue to look online

BTW: the battery is probably under a panel on the bottom of the laptop (you may have to remove some screws)[ot]avoid removing any screws with little arrows pointing at them, these are usually the screws which hold the case together[/ot]BTW: also look under the main battery for a big watch style battery or a two or more pins (if you can find any pins, is there any writing near them, if so what does it say)

Edit: BTW: the manual says you should contact Fujitsu, but i'll continue to look

Edit: try

13. smileysnowflak

The number I have for the person I bought it from is no longer available. I have tried SKY_FOX with no luck. Will try taking battery out etc later on.

14. smileysnowflak

I have found a battery under the keyboard is that it?? I took it out for over 2 mins and it still does not work. Thins should of reset it though shouldn't it?? Does anyone know how long you have to leave it out to get to work??

15. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah, i remember something about it being under the keyboard[ot]while searching for a solution for you[/ot]
    try leaving the battery out overnight or 24 hours[ot]laptops differ from desktop system, when doing a BIOS reset[/ot]

16. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

some laptops have more than one battery you have to unplug and wait from
    20 minutes to 2 hours..

17. donkey42

donkey42 plank

cheers ghosty[ot]lappy's can be tw4ts[/ot]

18. treborbob

treborbob Geek Trainee

one of my customers just sacked an employee (quite rightly so!)
    unfortunatly he has set the cmos password on his fujitsu s7110 laptop
    i can not use a boot cd as the password is required before that stage
    i have tried unplugging the battery for 24 hours
    fujitsu want a silly amount of dosh to help me
    can anyone here help please?

tried the password suggestions posted here too!!

ps can not find second battery!

19. phmag

phmag Geek Trainee

Hey all, I had the same problem and ended up taking CMOS battery out and everything with no luck.

I lastly emailed Fujitsu support and they helped me.

there's a few numbers you need to acquire, you send it back to them and then they send you a reset code.