How exactly do you hack?

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Waffle, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Don't have to tell me if you think I'm a risk :rolleyes:

but I've always wondered how somebody can actually take over your computer from a remote location and basically "virtually rape" it??

I'm guessing its something to do with a virus and scripts, but other than that, no idea!

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I don't think this is a suitable subject Waffle.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

harrack52, I don't think discussing hacking is an inappropriate topic. How else can you learn to protect yourself if you don't know how exploits work in the first place? However, I'd draw the line at describing the actual steps involved in a specific hack.

Hacking is really more of a programming term which has security applications. In other words, programming & networking knowhow which is used in a way which exploits a vulnerability in an operating system, a program running on that OS, or one through the other. A truly secure OS will make provisions not just for the OS, but for the software which runs on it as well (or else what good is OS security?)

4. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

thats all i needed to know, I'm not intending to break in to microsoft or anything stupid :D

5. Egaladeist

Egaladeist I am the Eg Man

Personally, I don't know why anyone would want to. A thief. I suppose , might hack to steal money or something he could trade for money but with all the wiz kids out there chances are he's not going to get away with it for long...and if he's smart enough to evade getting caught then he's smart enough to make tons of money without having to steal in the first place.

Besides money, why bother, what's the point?

Over the course of my life I've known a few extraordinary smart people and these people don't do stupid things because they're smart enough to recognise whether or not something is stupid.
    Ontheotherhand, I've known many well-educated people in my life who do all kinds of stupid things for apparently no good reason.

There's a difference between being well-educated and being smart ! :good:

6. Addis

Addis The King

There are script kiddies who tend to use worms/OS vunerabilities and the other type of hacker is one who mainly hits random IP addresses looking for open ports which aren't protected by firewalls.

Obviously on a topic such as this I'm not going to reveal anything else but note that the actual word hacker doesn't mean someone who gains illegal access to computer systems. It actually first meant someone who had proficient skill with computers but the media made it a negative word. The word for someone who breaks into computer systems is mainly cracker.

Some crackers like to do things like that to either damage the systems for annoyance or worse, or they're just nosy and curious and sometimes will leave a note for the admin telling them what happened and point out security vunerabilities but this is rarely the case.

7. Egaladeist

Still...why bother?...what's the point? Just to be nosy, malicious, as a joke (haha), to get your rocks off, it doesn't make any sense to me why anyone would want to, addis ! But then again there's alot of things people do that make no sense to me.
    I remember somewhere reading ( and I don't remember what thread it's in ) where people were discussing this very topic and how funny it was to do little annoying things to other people's computers like playing with their cursors ( and incidently I've had a problem with my cursor the last few days moving on it's own ) and that's the primary reason I tried to purge my posts after having words with another member of this forum...because I can't protect myself from that and I didn't want that to happen to me. Just this morning I saw my cursor move three inches to the left on it's own and I wasn't even touching the mouse.
    Maybe it's just coincidence, but it makes you think...maybe not !

Like I said...education has nothing to do with intelligence...
    and maturity has nothing to do with education.

To me playing with someone's computer is like a sucker punch...fit only for cowards who can't fight fair.

8. Addis

Addis The King

I do think that to actually hack into someones computer is going to far but the odd practical joke is ok.

9. Egaladeist

If it's just a joke between friends that's different...as long as the joke can be reversed and it's not malicious.

but it also depends on the circumstances...whether you're talking about a joke that affects a basic home comp or a comp that your job requires. From my own personal circumstances I use my comp for both, and I can't afford ( with two children to feed, clothe, etc...) to be wasting my time or money fixing someone's idea of a ha ha!

10. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

I don't pesonally think cracking is right to someone you don't know but to a m8 for a laugh where no harms going to be caused then thats ok.
    i used to do this fo a joke.

open note pad >type> shutdown -4 -t 10 -c "You have been hacked"
    then save it as a .bat file and when you click on it it will have the same effect has the blaster worm only it does'nt start up when your computer restarts it only starts when you click on it! i never sent it to anyone i knew wouldn't find it funny abd only people who knew quite a bit about computers.
    If you ever do get this or the real blaster worm just type "shutdown -a" in command promt (without the speech marks) and it overides it!
    I hope no 1 takes this post the wrong way it is just a bit of fun if your responsible.

11. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Hehe i've sent th a few ppl in my time. Its just a little joke :)

12. Egaladeist

Like I said, if it's between friends and it's expected i don't see a problem...when I was a teenager we used to do stuff too that I wouldn't do now...but we knew that we were going to pull something off on each other, so it was expected...and never malicious.
    A joke is only funny if the person is expecting it and can recover from it...if it's a malicious sucker punch that's a whole different story altogether !

13. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

Yea m8 i totally agree i wouldn't do any thing to harm anybodies computer but i think sometimes if you know how its done you know how to stop it. well thats just my opinion anyway m8.

14. eddieace

eddieace Geek Trainee

i'm not a wise old man! but

why do people KEY our cars?
    why do people not wash! and stink awfully
    why do people whinge at nothing at everybody
    why do?

lots of people on this planet, and there also lots of people who just dont give a toss to common sense or reason!

main reason i see why people 'maliciously' crack is personal ego boosting! they do because they can! they get an ego boost out of it! thats all i can put it down too.

15. cominetuk

cominetuk Geek Trainee

*snip*

--I don't think so

-B

16. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I don't think he wants to hack, rather info on how it works and how it's done

17. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

On a programming standpoint, and knowing how to program myself, I can see the point in hacking, and it's actually very simple: the challenge.

That motivation can drive you to do good or bad things, unfortunately.

18. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

There's also the people that get a rush from it, kinda like some people get thrills from rollercoasters or from using some illegal substance.

19. EVO TicTak

EVO TicTak Geek Trainee

It used to be easy to browse through someones computer, they leave it online you could just have a look through thier system(may have to get by a password or two, which wasn't a problem on older systems). Then people started the virus crap and security became a major issue. active x controls were the first major thing that had to be secured.
    Now that most of the worlds computer users have routers and firewalls, or both, a whole different problem has come up. Trojans, if you want to gain access to someone's computer it is not so easy to "Hack" into it so you make your exploit look like something they want. You name it something you know people on p2p programs look for and download and put it in a shared folder and watch as people suck it up, or you put it in freeware, yahoo booters and other free crap people slurp up happily. And sit back and wait for it to contact you so you have control of it and it will now do what you want it to. blaster was orriginally for a DOS attack on the MS site, then cause the shut down problem after the date of the attack. Problem with most trojans is they are poorly written and make the infected operating system have odd issues which point out the trojan is there. SP2 covers the downloads that sneek into your computer while you are surfing the net...But SP2 causes so many problems I think I would rather have a virus. People make money with viruses by stealing accounts of all sorts, selling info to mailing list, and online blackmail like with a offshore betting site a little while back. My problem with all of it is the more exploits they find to invade is less function we have for our computers, alot of sites are closing and alot of handy things once common place are patched out of existance.

20. Addis

Addis The King

One person was prosecuted because he wanted to get £100 from Playboy.com because he claimed that he held something like 200 account details of the members and would leak them if they didn't comply.