How low can you go?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Exfoliate, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

zRock just had a excellent post over the finer points of memory, beyond CAS latency. I personally don't think I have anyway of tweaking any of those things in my BIOS, which seems really stupid, maybe it's just me again or Gigabyte starts to loose my vote.\

2. Addis

Addis The King

you should be able to find it in advanced chipset or something. Otherwise update it, its not acceptable.

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Just updated it a few days ago, I looked under M.I.T: something Intelligent Tweaker I think and all you could do was overclock and agp and bump up the voltage. There was no Advanced chipset options. I'll look again becuase it's pretty sad.

4. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

It won't be in the oc'ing menu. It will be beside standard settings in the main menu of the BIOS.

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Thanks, I'll see if I can pull up something later, can you take screen shots of the bios?

6. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Don't think so, at least not in my BIOS. Well come to think of it there are pics of the BIOS in my mobo manual but they could be from a camera.

7. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

i can change all my timings in bios, and stuff, errm is my memory timing crap???

3-8-3-3???????/

8. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

mine was 2.5-2-2-5 stock

9. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

No offense but that's verging on crap yes, you should have some 2.5s in there anyway. But hey not as crappy as mine probably is:)

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Okay I looked some more in the old BIOS and there was absolutly nothing for tweaking memory other than voltage. There's nothing in the main menu that leads me to anything. Not in Standard CMOS or Advanced BIOS features, nothing. Beside every entry on the right, separated by a box there's something that says Main level but it's greyed out and below it just reads the options for each highlighted setting so what I see is where I can look. So either I'm dumb, I have a bad BIOS, or Gigabyte has the worst BIOS out there.

11. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Then most likely your BIOS won't allow it. That is somewhat common, this BIOS won't allow me to OC.

12. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Crappy BIOS, I'll go DFI next time though this one still holds a special place in my heart, just becuase it's stable.

13. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

Third party overclocking might help

14. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

third party? Do you mean an app?

15. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Alright good news: I found that crtl+F1 opens up advanced chipset features, as in all that ram tweaking stuff:good:, so it was me who was dumb, not Gigabyte.
    Bad news: I'm not able to keep any of my memory tweaks, I set the CAS latency to 2, and the DRAM timings to 1T and then when I saved the settings the POST read: CMOS checksum error: resetting defaults or something so obviously my ram is too crappy to accept those settings, let alone allow me to oc. I'll just have to wait some more till I replace this hopeless stuff:(

16. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Hahaha yea I was so scared last night. I set my cmd to T1 and the computer wouldn't boot, nothing came up. But then I just cleared the BIOS and went on my way. So I don't think I'll mess with my RAM timings.

17. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

in a lot of cases the memory kind of sticks to its stocks, kind of like a disobedient dog

I switched some of my stuff around, keep in mind though that it may interfere with some dual channel settings, thats why I recommended not to toy with it, unless you know what you're doing

18. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea, I'll stick to OCing that CPU under that monster cooler.

19. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

lol, i could get it down to 2.5 no problem, i aint botherd if its crap lol, its doing me just fine, i dont want super top quality ram, cheapo ram is ok for me, seen as the timing can be took down to well 2 at lowest.

20. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I can't even get mine down to 2 from 2.5:( Do you guys think raising the volage would help?