How To Safely Undervolt?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Dunderhead5000, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Dunderhead5000

Dunderhead5000 Geek Trainee

I've watched videos and read in different places about undervolting and maybe I just don't get it after building a couple of PC's. Maybe it's because this is the first time I've ever needed to.

I upgraded a 390 SFF to 480GB SSD after updating the BIOS, put in 16GB of RAM and dropped in a DDR5 GT 1030 (I'm sure it's the DDR5 model) and it still has the upgraded I5-2400.
    This computer for about $230 can out perform a tower I built in the early 2,000's for about $1,000. Very happy with it.

Issue - The 1030 is a 30W card and the slot is a 25W slot. I'd like to get the card's power consumption down to 25W or maybe 25.5W due to the low-powered, proprietary PSU and not having to worry about stuttering or too much power draw.
    In MSI Afterburner the power is in millivolts and I don't know how that converts to watts.

Second problem - The max temp I've seen on the card is 72°c while benchmarking but normally while gaming it sits around 50°c. Normally the fan isn't supposed to cut on until it reaches 60°c but at 50°c the fan runs around 2734 RPM. I'm afraid of burning up the fan.
    In Afterburner I'm not sure how the slider correlates to the RPM.

What other settings will I have to change besides power consumption so the card works like it should at lower power? I want performance but I don't want to damage the card.

What is a normal safe range for a GPU fan in this range? I thought max was 1,900 RPM.

If someone could walk me through this, I promise not to hold them accountable if I blow something up (won't let me put appropriate Emoticon here).

I also have XOC if that tool would be useful.

Kind of lost.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  2. Dunderhead5000

Dunderhead5000 Geek Trainee

I figured out how to underclock, undervolt and got the fan speed down. And figured out that the max temp is 97°c for the GPU but I have a new problem. The CPU wants to heat up to 69°c while benchmarking and it's max temp is 71.6°c or 72.6°c.

The card now sits at 71°c but not sure what to do with the CPU. It's dell proprietary everything in there and it's also small form factor so I'm not sure what would work and get the heat out.

I know the case is the problem (i.e. take the side off the CPU sits at 53°c and the GPU sits at 31°c) but from what I've read, these parts can't be moved into a new case. There aren't USB front panel adapters and the header can't be removed etc. with this model like you can for other models.

P.S. What's the best thermal paste and which is the easiest to deal with? I realize these may-be two different things.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021