How well are 3dmark scores

Discussion in 'Benchmarking' started by izzy007, Aug 24, 2006.

1. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

well ive done 3dmark 03 at 800x600 and got a score of 5095. ive only got ddr2 512mb 533mhz ram and hope to get a higher result with corsair 1024mb 800mhz ram (when it arrives)

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

3DMark is more of a graphical test, and the faster speed RAM won't help unless you're overclocking. However, the additional amount may play a role in a higher score. Typically, people use the default settings, which use a 1024x768 resolution. I do in the 8600-8800 range with 3DMark 03 defaults on my main box.

3. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

true. but ig i have 1gb of ram, my graphics card will have 512mb ram instead of 256mb and i might see an improvement there. Afterall my graphics card isnt all that good either. (7300le)

4. zeus

zeus out of date

I was looking at 512mb card on ebay the other day but after reading a review it was kinda obvious that the 512mb is just marketing. They recommended a 256mb card with a better gpu.

Also I upgraded from 512mb to 1024mb a couple of weeks ago and saw little improvement. But maybe my old graphics was working at full pelt with just 512mb ram and wont scale further even when I overclock the fsb.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

RAM size on a video card is a very poor way to measure performance. A 256MB GeForce 6200 is going to get wasted by a 128MB GeForce 6600GT. The quantity of RAM is going to do more for smoother performance than the speed. You can use DDR2-800, but unless your system is using the faster speed, you won't see anything from the higher speed. It's only going to operate at a set frequency in conjunction with your FSB. You will see an improvement (depending on what you play and at what settings) by going to 1GB from 512MB, but that's contigent on the system making use of the extra RAM. If you're still playing Half-Life and not FEAR, you're highly unlikely to notice much of a difference---if any at all. This, assumes of course, that you have a decent video card to play the game with. You can have 32GB of DDR2-1066 RAM and a GeForce 2 MX and guess what? FEAR will still run like crap, and it's not because of the amount of RAM. The video card isn't able to process that heavy of textures due to the lack of pipelines to do it with.