HP Vectra Drivers??

Discussion in 'Drivers and Firmware' started by blade002, Dec 27, 2005.

1. blade002

blade002 Geek Trainee

Im new to the forum, so first things first.. HI !!!.. lol..

Anyway, im really hoping someone can help me out here!. im installing Windows XP for a friend on an old PIII HP Vectra which is an ex business machine that already has Windows 2000 installed on it.

Now the onboard Video Adpater is a 4meg Intel(R) 82815. And the onboard sound is AC97. Does anyone know where i can find drivers for this system?..

Or should i just leave Windows 2000 on there?. i know there is a newer version of Windows due out, and im concerned that 2000 will be phased out.

Sorry if i seem somewhat vague!. feel free to ask me more if need be....

Thankyou to anyone that can help.

2. Addis

Addis The King

You won't need to upgrade to a newer version of windows. Upgrading to XP will just give extra security holes.

The drivers for the graphics/audio can usually be found on the motherboard manufacturers website. Download [google]CPU-Z[/google] and use it to find the motherboard make and model and post it here. From there we can find a suitable driver package.

3. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Hi

It would be handy to know a bit more about your system.
    Windows XP is harder on resources and not all PIII will run XP happily.
    However, saying that, I know from experience that 650Mhz will run XP quite well as long as it is accompanied by at least 512MB of RAM and the faster the better.

As for Video controller:
    Please go here - http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=797

This is the latest and last version of the graphics driver as Intel has already announced the end of support for this particular graphics controler (http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel815/). You will need to decide which operating system you wish to install the controller for.

Also you can find more downloads here:
    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=179&lang=eng
    There is a vast amount of drivers and packages for your freind's board's chipset.

Hope this helps.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Okay, guys, I just had to remove six posts of OT that weren't getting anywhere near the subject.

Anyway, what Vectra model do you have? Even if HP doesn't have drivers for what OS you want, the model will help track it down. If you decide to use XP, that Vectra appears to be old enough to be supported right out of the box by XP. AC97 is a general codec, and depending on the OS it's paired with, it may or may not need to have a driver provided. Again, XP would almost certainly have the driver. Win2k might, but I would check.

5. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Sorry BB....

I think I am to blame.... won't do that again.....

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I agree with sabashuali, 2000 pro would run much better on that hardware. Fundamentally, 2000 (aka NT5.0) is the same operating system as XP (aka NT5.1) but without all the bloat and unnecessary features. I would just make sure he has a good AV, firewall, and all the anti-spyware software Windows needs to keep running from day to day, and be done with it. Besides, XP costs more than that whole system is worth!

7. blade002

blade002 Geek Trainee

WOW.. i dont know where to start here!.. i actually took the advice of most you on here, and stuck with Windows 2000!.. and ive gotta admit that you were all spot on!. i thought i might have had trouble with 2000 not being supported, but i was wrong!.

The only thing i didnt install was a firewall. because the person who will be using it, only has dial up and not cable. I am able to install Sygate Personal Firewall for him, would that be advisable given the connection?.

Also there seems to be a number of Linux followers on here!. I was a huge fan and user of the AMIGA from 1990 up until the year 2000, and about 4 years ago, a friend of mine asked me to come over to show me something. What he showed me was how Linux and the Amiga's 0S are virtually identical in its file and directory structure! I thought i was looking at an Amiga, but no.. it was Linux!.

I suppose given the fact that the Amiga was based on Unix, it probably comes as no surprise, but ive heard brilliant things about Linux, and i absolutely hate Windows with a passion!. I was spoiled by Workbench on Amiga, but now im ready to spoiled by Linux!.

Thanks guys for all your help thus far!.. ;)

8. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

If the Vectra has enough HDD space, you could always dual-boot with Linux!

9. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

SygatePF is a good product, it'd be great for him on dialup assuming he has enough RAM.

And yeah, your observation is correct, for a neutral forum there are quite a few Linux users but there are more Windows users by far of course. Yeah, if you liked the Amiga at all you'll instantly fall in love with Linux. Any of the regulars here can tell you that I unreservedly recommend Mandriva 2006 for a desktop PC, if you want to give it a whirl. Why not, it's free right?