hsf question for amd 64 3500+

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Jecht, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Jecht

Jecht Big Geek

soon i will be gettin my amd athlon 64 3500+ in the mail from newegg, and i was wondering, what would be an excellent hsf for this cpu, i know stock is good enough for it, but i want to try a nice 3rd party hsf out there, that will work even better on it, becaue i plan on overclock later on down the line. which ones do u guys reccommend? thx

oh yeah , and i hear amd hsf's are a bitch to mount onto the socket, is this just a myth, or is it from older versions?

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

it's just a myth. I have no trouble with mounts. Noobs have everlasting bewilderment.

3. Fred

Fred Moderator

I agree with Ninja... I have a AMD 64 3500 and I didn't have any trouble mounting it. I would imagine it wont be hard for you either... as for a HSF, this is the one I have. I think its great, but it can definetly be loud. If you're looking for an especially quiet one, you'd best wait for Procal, as I'm sure he can show you to a near silent HSF :p

4. ninja fetus

5. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

lol, perhaps i've given myself abit of a reputation?

Anyhow, this is the exact same HSF as i have on my AMD64 3200+, its a fantastic cooler, as long as you apply some nice Artic Silver, you'll get temperatures of: 28-32C idle (35C load).

I've overclocked my 3200+ from 2.0GHz to 2.7GHz stable 1:1, and the hottest it got was 48-50C (700MHz overclock!)

And i have abit of a reputation for being a fanatic of the "cool & quiet", ie best cooling with minimal noise. and this is fantastic - it's one of the most popular AMD64 coolers out.

it's a fantastic cooler & its rated @ a maximum of 1 Sone (which is basically 22DBa - but u cant hear the fan at all.)

6. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Oh... and no they are not a bitch at all to install, infact they are incredibly incredibly easy.

Heatsinks are only a bitch to install if you have to "mount" it on the motherboard, this means using holes in your motherboard (which must be there out of the box), which allow you to put a plate behind the motherboard to securely keep the HSF on.

7. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I suggest you get the Thermalright XP-120.
    It's huge though, so make sure it fits on your motherboard before you buy it.

Oh and another thing, there won't be any name-calling here ninja, thank you for your cooperation.

8. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Harrack in what way was he "name calling"?

That is my heatsink & fan :good:

Just to add, the XP-120 is a very good HSF, but the Freezer 64 cools just as well as the XP-120 in tests.

9. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

there

If I'm overreacting then I'm sorry.

10. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

I believe he's referring to himself, as in "if i can do it anyone can"

11. Jecht

Jecht Big Geek

thx a bunch for all the replies, very helpful ty, i will probably buy both of them, and just keep one around just to have around, heh. i have yet to apply any type of thermal grease onto a cpu yet, and i was wondering , when i change out my stock hsf that came with the cpu, with a thermal pad on it, what to use to wipe clean the heat spreader with (i hear rubbing alcohol, any percent is good, i think i have a 70% isophrol or something laying around)...and i can obviously see arctic silver 5 is the best, no? thx

12. ninja fetus

Arctic silver5 is the best as of now.

Harrack, I wasn't calling anyone names, just stating noobs whine about heatsink installations a lot even though it's pretty simple. If you can look at pictures and relate them to your motherboard, there isn't a heatsink unable to install

13. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

What i find best is to get Cotton Pads (what women use to moisturise their faces) or Cotton buds (for your ears), and dampen them in something like White Spirit, then just clean it off.

Works wonders, i've been using that method for years and never had aproblem with it.

14. Addis

Addis The King

Yep agreed cotton buds is what i use for cleaning stuff off my printer rollers (its old).
    Has anyone ever tried applying thermal compound to the Northbridge chipset? I once took the HS off and rubbed off some stuff that was already on and put some of mine on.

15. ninja fetus

I have replaced all the compounds in my comp with Arctic Silver 5, and Arctic Silver thermal adhesive.

16. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Thermal Adhesive - i hope you didn't apply this "neat", if you apply Thermal Adhesive (the artic silver stuff), it will permenentely attach the components together.

It's like incredibly strong super glue.

17. ninja fetus

I put it on a southbridge, and a 3com NIC.

18. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

A network card?

19. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Isopropyl alcohol works great for cleaning thermal goop off. The XP-120 is huge, so make sure your motherboard can handle it. Thermalright also has a smaller unit, the XP-90, which seems to be a fantastic cooler despite being made out of aluminum (or at least most of it). I'm probably going to get the XP-90 myself.

20. ninja fetus

it just looks really cool :D