HSP56 MicroModem Driver Problem

Discussion in 'Drivers and Firmware' started by AndrewG, May 25, 2005.

1. AndrewG

AndrewG Geek Trainee

I have reinstalled Windows XP (after format) on a customer's PC. I checked the modem which was working properly prior to the format and it showed in Device Manager as a "HSP56 MicroModem".

I tried to backup the modem driver using DriverGuideToolKit, but when I went to reinstall it after reinstalling Windows it kept asking for a number of different files which were missing. One filename it asked for was something like "ptserls.sy_" ...

So it seems DriverGuideToolKit didn't do it's job properly by not backing up all the required driver files.

I tried downloading another XP driver for this modem from the driverguide website but this also didn't work, again missing files.

I tried downloading a HSP modem driver from the PCTel (manufacturer) website but again this failed to install the modem correctly.

How do I get the correct driver for this modem to get it working?

Is there a fool-proof way to backup drivers from the OS before reinstalling the OS?

2. Addis

Addis The King

As far as i know, unless there is a commercial app that really works there's no way to back up drivers manually.
    I do happen to have a HSP56 World Micromodem and it doesn't need any drivers for it to be installed as generic windows one works.

3. AndrewG

AndrewG Geek Trainee

4. AndrewG

AndrewG Geek Trainee

On a separate issue I have another modem which is a HSP56 AMR modem that I can't get working.

Are AMR modems plug n play compatible because XP doesn't seem to recognise it on startup?

I am guessing if XP doesn't recognise it then there's not much chance of manually getting it working?

5. Addis

Addis The King

AMR...
    I think I had one of them aswell. I had to use the driver to get it working as far as I can remember.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

From the way I understand it, the motherboard manufacturer has to supply the AMR card, since the designs vary from company to company...and also why the AMR/CNR/ACR slots all never really took off at all.