I attempted to overclock my computer and.... need help with starting the computer

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by DonDude, Jan 3, 2006.

1. DonDude

DonDude Geek Trainee

I tried to overclock without looking into it and I changed the FSB from 133 to 166 in the BIOS and my computer restarted and started makin alot of noise and making alot of heat..

I heard it booting up but my screen didnt come on...
    How do I get to see my screen and lower the FSB again?
    P.S. The computer is unusable it its current state so I'm using a backup one.

P.S.S All my games are on the broken down computer and I'm tryin to fix it soon before my parents get home and I get in trouble... so thanks in advance

AMD Athlon 2000+ is the CPU By the way

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

On you rmotherboard there will be a jumper that clears the CMOS (where the bios settings are stored).

look in your mother board manual for where it is. but it will most likely look like this:-

+[++]

+ = a pin sticking up from the motherboard

[++] = the jumper that is joining two of the pins.

to clear the CMOS, TURN THE COMPUTER OFF! and move the jumper from:-

+[++] to [++]+

leave it for a second, and the move it back. Your computer should boot after that (with the defualt settings for the BIOS)

3. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

You could just pull out the battery, then put it back in again :cool:

By the way, you didn't just overclock the CPU, you also overclocked the motherboard and RAM. Chances are, your motherboard just couldn't handle that extra FSB. Next time (if there is a next time :p ), try and overclock using the multipliers. That way, your motherboard runs at it's optimal speed, whilst your CPU works more effectively.

Some motherboards auto-detect the multiplier, and only give you the option of changing the FSB. If yours is one of them, try bumping it up incremental. For example, my Mobo is rated to run at 100MHz - yet I have options for 103, 112 and 133MHz. If I run the motherboard at 133Mhz, I am very likely to get a blue screen, if I run it at 112 (a respectable 12% speed increase), it runs fine.

4. Impotence

Be very carfull with the CPU multiplyer! your clockspeed = FSB * multiplyer!

If Your FSB is 133Mhz then changing the multiplyer by +1 adds and extra 133 Mhz onto your clockspeed!

Example, FSB 200Mhz and a multiplyer of 9 (the stats of my old 2200+) at thoose levels the clockspeed is 1.9 Ghz (200 * 9 = 1800Mhz) if i changed it the multiplyer to 10, it would be 2Ghz (200*10 = 2000Mhz)

The best way to overclock is to change the multiplyer and/or the FSB

Example,

FSB 200 Mhz, multiplyer 9x = 1800 Mhz (100%)
    FSB 205 Mhz, multiplyer 9x = 1845 Mhz (102.5%)
    FSB 210 Mhz, multipyer 9x = 1890 Mhz (105%, a relitivly 'safe' overclock)
    FSB 210 Mhz, Multiplyer 10x = 2100 Mhz (116.6%, dont take it that far without a BIG heatsink)

as the multiplyer is multiplying the fsb, it makes a BIG diffrence!

General tips:

-Make sure you have good cooling! (or your CPU will fry its self!)
    -Increase the FSB by 5 or 10 Mhz each time
    -benchmark the system each time you do it (puts the system under maximum stress to test if it can cope with the new settings)
    -Be care full with the multiplyer!
    -use a system monitor such as "Motherboard monitor" to keep an eye on voltages + temps (and set alarms to warn you when the get too high!)
    -dont overclock a computer you need, beacuse if it goes badly wrong you wont have it!

5. Addis

Addis The King

There's advantages and disadvantages to both. Using the FSB to overclock leads to more refined overclocking but this is the FSB. So not only your CPU but your RAM is being overclocked aswell. RAM thats pushed too far can cause errors unless you use asynchronous speeds bt they don't always work.

Its really not that big of a deal to overclock too far if your CPU has adequate temp protection. Any attempts of increasing the multiplier too much will usually result in the system not booting and requiring the CMOS to be cleared. However it is best to go in small increments so that you can monitoring stability.

6. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

For god sake what ever you do don't do this, the CMOS battery on your motherboard is extremely sensitive to static, you shouldn't be doing this. As if you static your CMOS battery and try to start your computer with a bad battery you may cause damage to your motherboard or other components.

Just go with the jumper option.

7. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

8. DonDude

DonDude Geek Trainee

I cant find the jumper... as I said before I have an AMD Athlon 2000+ so if anyone knows help me out...
    P.S. I dont know where the manual is...

9. Impotence

What motherboard do you have?

and heres a link for a google images seach of CMOS jumpers LINK!!!

10. DonDude

DonDude Geek Trainee

I have a PCChips motherboard... I dont know if it has one... if it does its hidden behind some wires or somethin

11. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

What if you're grounded? is it okay then, i know its safer with the jumper, but your whole pc is susceptible to static damage if ur not grounded. So if ur grounded with an antistatic wristband that you attach to yourself and the case, can you simply remove the battery? I'm asking cuz i did that method once with my old pc and i'm wondering if removing the battery damages it.

12. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

It's unlikely you would damage anything. I don't know of a single case where someone has damaged their battery and (or) their hardware. The CMOS battery is just a basic watch battery, and if it did brake, it's very cheap and easy to replace.

Every motherboard has a jumper to clear the CMOS. You will need to look in the manaul for it's location. If you don't have the manual, you will be able to download it from the manufacturer's website. Failing that, do a search on Yahoo for the manual.
    Here's a tip: The jumpers to clear the CMOS are usually (but not always) located next to the battery. It will be a 3 pin jumper. There are only two possible settings, on and off. You need to take off the contact, and place it on the off position for 5 seconds

13. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

The problem you have is that different components are more sensitive to static than others, for instance when ever i am making hardware changes or checks i always touch the case before hand, but other than that both hands are inside on the components..

I've never had any components go faulty through static, it's all how you handle them.. as long as you touch the case a few times your going to be ok..

But the CMOS battery is i believe a (wait for it... geekyness coming in:) Lithium based CR2032 3V battery? ;) which you can buy from any DIY / Electrical store for around £1 / $2 and you usually get two.

One of the many things i always do when i have a problem with a computer or a problem with the bios, or more specifically if i get hold of a new computer is to replace the CMOS battery with a brand spanking new one. it costs almost nothing and you'll be suprised the amount of difference it can make to the stability of your computer.

Also those anti-static wrist bands & rubber matts are crap, they arn't secure enough to erradicate static fully, if at all. So i recommend not using them, just ground yourself before going into the case.

As i said, i've built / upgraded / fixed hundreds of computers now for friends, family and at work and i never worry about static except for grounding myself occasionaly by touching the case, or something else, and i've never done my components any damage - even cpu's, as long as your careful and know how to pickup components properly and safely you'll be fine.

14. beretta9m2f

Yeah i gave back that wristband to my friend i used it once cuz it was annoying, i have a cat and a carpet so i usually touch the case like a million times before touching the electrical components. I just found it odd that someone said you could damage the pc by taking out that battery, i'm like dude that's the same battery you see in stopwatches and abtronic immitations.

15. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

All i was saying is you Shouldn't pull the cmos battery out.

It's inexpensive and easily replaceable but you should be shorting the battery properly via the jumpers Not via flicking the battery out again.

The point is that if you static the battery, but don't completely kill it, you will have killed some of the cells in the battery, therefore allowing it not to hold the 100% charge that is required, therefore it Can cause problems with other hardware. - Problems usually accepted as if caused by something else..

16. beretta9m2f

Ohhhhh, lesson learned, just use the jumpers to reset cmos. Thanks:D