I Hate Windows. I Hate Disk Management Utility. Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggg

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by Addis, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Addis

Addis The King

<RANT>
    I was about to try the new free VMware software in Windows. Then I realised that I had a redundant partition on my HD which had Linux on it. But because of my wireless card problems I couldn't get internet access on it so it was a no go.

So I thought instead of using it on my Windows drive, I'll just delete and reformat the Linux on and use that as a dedicated VM drive.

I thought I installed Paragon Partitioner on the laptop, but I couldn't find it. So I thought i'd use Windows Disk management to just delete the logical partition.

Went into Disk management, right cliekd the 500mb swap space, delete logical drive. It gave me a warning about data loss, I assumed it was for data on the partition. As soon as I clicked yes the screen went blue with a big nasty paragraph from Windows telling me how its fucked up.

PIECE OF COW SHIT.

After 3 seconds, it was replaced by a blank screen. That was it. It completely destroyed my partition table.

Linux couldn't mount the partitions, although Ubuntu Live CD saw the drives, but couldn't mount them.

So now I'm running the Mandriva recovery console from the DVD, and using gpart to make a good guess at the partition table and then write it. My data is still on disk, but my fucking God its hard to save it. My music, my programming work, my movies, my photos....

I have a backup of My Documents & some media on DVD, so not everything's lost. But most of it is.
    </RANT>

I'll post the results of gpart. :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear:

2. Addis

Addis The King

gpart didn't work. :(

3. Addis

Addis The King

I'm now resorting to writing a blank DOS partition table with Linux fdisk.

Maybe I'll be able to do a recovery of some of my files afterwards.... my karaoke program....

4. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Wow, sounds like you're having a lot of bad luck! This afternoon I managed to get a copy of Windows 3.11 off someone, and installed that on Virtual Machine.

5. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Wow thats sucks...Ive never had a problem ike that with Windows disk management :s Maybe your incredibly unlucky....or im incredbly lucky :D

6. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Great, an 'I hate Windows thread' :) I love these

Disk Management, it doesn't know how to handle Linux partitions, so I am not too suprised it screwed up trying to remove it.

But when you say '500MB Swap Space', are you refering to the Linux swap space or a Windows partition that you dedicated to swap space?

7. Addis

Addis The King

Linux swap space partition.

Should have known MS would punish me for using Linux.

Anyway, guess what? I just accidentally overwrote my /home partition with Debian. Yep, its not been my day.

8. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Ive also not had a problem with Disk Management deleting Linux partitions.
    Sorry about the bad luck Addis :(

9. megamaced

Oh man! :eek: That's gotta hurt!

If I have to use Windows in the future, i'll be running it under a virtual console where it can't do any harm to the computer. It can destroy itself all it wants to in VMware, but it won't be able to take the host OS with it :)

Windows is like a dog, it needs to be kept on a leash. Let it off the leash and it'll run around causing havok!

10. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

theres no smiley for a state of mourning but that really sucks, judgin my luck its gonna happen right after i read th-

11. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I can relate, as the last thing I did on the Windows platform was lose 350GB of accumulated data. Linux was already starting to look pretty good, so that was the last straw for me. I figured if my wife could run Linux full-time, so could I. Haven't lost any data since... In fact, I should clean up all of my old "just in case" backups that have accumulated on my server; the need for them never came. Go meta-journaled filesystems! :cool:

12. Addis

Addis The King

Unfortunately I don't have the option of Linux on the laptop, unless I use a direct ethernet connection for internet access. So I have to put up with the gradual slowdown of Windows as it ages.

13. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

That first post made me honestly laugh, more so at the COW comment :D.

14. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Windows bashing is always the most fun when the jibes are actually facts. Ever heard of a shatter attack?

15. megamaced

Well my father's ebay account got hacked yesterday. I have to admit I felt pretty guilty since I am responsible for securing his computer

So I just wanted to say:

I :swear: hate Windows;
    I :swear: hate Internet Explorer;

It's just shocking, I've configured his account to run as a restricted user, I've installed Avast, Ad-aware and ZoneAlarm and now I've got him running Firefox. But still, hackers got through and managed to steal his eBay password.

Makes me happy to be a Linux user

16. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

megamaced; Have you considered maybe they obtained the password though ebay phishing?

17. megamaced

How would that work? Via a fake link through an email for example?

Running as a restricted user takes care of most viruses. I did a spyware scan with Adware and it came up with 2 objects, but they were just low risk advertising cookies.

Anti-phishing in web browsers in still lacking. Nutscape and IE 7 have it built in, but both browsers are horrible IMO

I think Firefox are implementing it with version 2, not sure what Opera are doing

18. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

yeh that's what I mean.

19. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

My mum had something like that a while ago, she'd recieved an e-mail from 'eBay' and it asked her to verify her account was still active by inputting her username, password and credit card details, she thought it was a bit suspicious and called me, I had a look at it and it was a fake, the message was from an e-mail address something stupid like:

accounts [at] as122-552.ebay.com

(not that exact one as I can't remember the exact e-mail, but it was something like that)

It's not hard to send an e-mail to someone and have it look like it's from somewhere else, most computer users wouldn't trace the actual origins of the e-mail, they'd just see what's on the surface and believe it.

20. megamaced

Oh :swear: I've just had a horrible thought

My father received an email from eBay telling him his account had been hacked by a 3rd party. I am just wondering whether that email was legit or not.

I am gonna have to look at it myself