I need a new gaming soundcard.

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by tudda, May 28, 2009.

1. tudda

tudda Geek Trainee

Hey. I was wondering what I should buy to get the ultimate gaming sound? I need a really pro card, so prices doesn't matter. I'm willing to go high.

I found this video on youtube, and it's absolutely amazing!

Take a look please, and tell me what I should buy to get something like this, or even BETTER. I need a card that you can hear enemies from LONG distances etc, when they draw grenades and such.

I'm also going to buy a new computer, so don't worry about my hardware, I will buy a motherboard and such that will fit.

Thanks! :)

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I suppose cards with a good SNR (signal to noise ratio) will allow you to hear softer sounds more clearly, but you'd also need a pair of good cans (e.g. Sennheiser, Klipsch), to appreciate it. I'd recommend any sound card with hardware mixing capabilities and a good SNR. Anything based on the EMU10k1 chipset fits the bill, for example any Audigy 2 or Audigy 4 card. See here: Matrix:Tag-HWMIX - AlsaProject

On the other hand, you must understand that in many game engines, the engine simply stops playing the sound effect at all after a certain distance. So the sound card doesn't necessarily let you hear enemies far away, that's probably just a hack. In that case, the best sound card in the world won't make any difference. ;)