I need help?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by horace50, Mar 31, 2004.

1. horace50

horace50 Geek Trainee

I have bought an Asus P4S533-E Motherboard and present I have two Processors, I am not using two processors at the same time.
    1 X Pentium 4 2.40Ghz 512/533/1.525v
    1 X Penitum 4 1.6 Ghz 256/400/1.75v This is the one i am using at present, but want to upgrade to the p4 2.40,
    The computer is set to auto but is not reading the cpu correctly? This is what the Bios says when I start up the computer. During the last boot up your system hung for an inproper cpu speed setting, your sys is now working in safe mode, to optimize sys performance and reliability, make sure the cpu speed conforms to the specifications of your cpu.
    my cpu speed is 1600Mhz, Cpu frequency Multiple (16x) Cpu External Frequency (Mhz) 100/33
    Memory Frequency auto, Cpu Vcore Set= Auto, Cpu Vcore is grayed out but says (1.75v)
    My Memory is Pc2100 266. Can anyone tell me what is wrong.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Off the top of my head, I do know Asus tends to use jumpers to select stuff like the FSB and Voltages (including Vcore). I'm not sure exactly on your board, but your manual should tell you. The system might've gotten confused with the new CPU (unlikely, but sh!t happens), so try clearing CMOS (consult your manual).
    Other things to try:
    While it should detect the proper CPU speed, the P4 you have uses an 18x multiplier and a 133MHz FSB. (the 533MHz is a quad-pumped FSB). FSB=Cpu External Frequency=Front Side Bus.
    Lastly, if it's been purchased new it should have a fairly recent BIOS, but you'll need to check this out. Again, hit up the manual, as Asus goes over this as well. Make sure the faster CPU is supported by your current BIOS version. If it's not, you'll have to flash it to get it up to date.