In the mouth of madness

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Anime and Manga' started by harrack52, Mar 9, 2003.

1. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I saw "In the mouth of madness" yesterday, a John Carpenter film, starring Sam Neill.

This is a H.P. Lovecraft type of story.

This is a horror film of course, made in 1995.
    This is, basically, the story of an insurance fraud detective which has to find Suther Cane (Stephen King...) who disappeared. He is a writer whose books drive people absolutely mad.

This is a great movie, keeps you on the edge of your seat til the end. Plenty of scarying moments and filmed the way only John Carpenter can.

To be watched at night with everything closed/turned off.
    The best horror film made in a long, long time. (They all suck nowadays if you ask me).

5.5/5

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I guess thats your opinion, I looked at opinions on IMDB http://us.imdb.com/Title?0113409 they seem to say its not that good, has 6.5/10 on IMDB!

"Scary? No. Fascinating? Yes"

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

It is not that scary but there are some scary moments, plus I like John Carpenter.

For some reasons, the public did not like this movie but the movie industry did.

What I liked is the influence from authors like H.P. Lovecraft and Jorge Luis Borges.

The latter writes short-stories, and in some of them, the reader is suddenly part of the story and experiences what the "hero" does.
    For instance, someone tells a story, and that exact same story starts happening when the person is telling it.

I guess that if you like litterature, you will have more chances of liking this movie.

4. Sniper

yeh, every one has different opinion on things, though it does sound good! I think older films can be more scary, cuz they didnt base every thing on what the viewer sees, but let the viewer use his/her imagination!

Also I do Film Studies, its not bad subject, learnt a lot about the industry and why people go and watch films etc things.

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Right, horror movies (well, if there is such a thing) nowadays are crap imo... What are they ? I know what you did last summer, Scream ? In the end it IS all about opinions, and about what the director wants to do, does he want to make loads of cash, or does he want to make his own movie, and does he have the talent to do so.

You mentioned it, before, we had to use our imagination, well in "In the mouth of madness", there are scenes where someone kills someone else with an axe, but you don't see it, because as the director himself said, we all know what happens when an axe hits a skull, we don't need to see it !

There's a new one out now, "Fear dot com", people dying after visiting a website....I guess we had that coming !

6. Sniper

yeh, I guess you could see that coming! lol what next?

7. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I saw "Fear dot com" a couple days ago.
    It's not very good, there's nothing new in that movie.
    The script is doubtful. Plenty of questions left unanswered, such as : how did he know this ? (Plenty of shortcuts)
    Things like that.
    I think "The net", even though it's old, and even though it's not the same kind of movie, is way better, or was way better back then, I haven't seen it in a long time.
    You can believe what happens in "The net" in some small way, but you just can't take "Fear dot com" seriously.