incorrect drive a type

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by tdove, Apr 14, 2005.

1. tdove

tdove Geek Trainee

I am building a computer for internet use out of older computer parts I have. Whenever I start the system I always get this same error message "Error 02b2: Incorrect Drive A Type."

I have checked the connections of the cable to the mobo, the connection to the drive, have switched out probably five different drives and I can't lose the error message. I have Windows 98 installed currently, I will probably put 2000 on by the time I have finished building it.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of this error?

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Check your BIOS settings. There is a section which allows you to specify which type of floppy is connected to the system. Choose the appropriate settings, save & quit. Your floppy is likely a 1.4mb 3.5" floppy, since it's the most common on the planet. Or, if you don't have one, specify that instead.

Peace,
    -AT

3. jplarson3

jplarson3 Geek Trainee

I have just come across this 02B2 error myself. I have checked to see which drive A I am actually using, but no matter what I change the drive type to in the BIOS, I still get this error. Any help?

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

try removing the floppy driver in system properties or try replacing the floppy drive (it could be :swear: knackered) also try replacing the floppy cable

5. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Error 02b2 is a message usually indicating that your floppy disk drive is improperly configured or identified by your system. To remedy this problem, you need to run your setup program and look at the identified floppy disk drive, and change it to match the floppy drive you actually have. The way you do this will vary depending on the operating system you have installed.

If you are using Windows XP, one option for this or other devices which are not loaded / recognized properly at startup is usually to remove those hardware devices within the device manager application, and then restart. After rebooting Windows XP will generally recognize the device which is not properly installed and provide an option wizard to select or download the appropriate driver. In Windows XP you can access the device manager by right clicking My Computer on the desktop and choosing "Properties." Then click the "Hardware" tab. In the middle of the Window, click the "Device Manager" button. Select the hardware item you want and from the "Action" menu select the desired choice. In this case, you would want to click the plus sign beside "Floppy Disk Drives" and click the "Floppy Disk Drive" icon. From the action menu you can either uninstall the driver and then restart, or try to update the driver.

[link=http://www.techlearning.com/shared/printableArticle.jhtml?articleID=20900640]source[/link]

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

Karanislove is right but, it could also be reporting this weird problem by saying "incorrect drive type" because it's the only way it can tell you about the problem