Increase CDROM buffer?

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by wompus, Mar 13, 2003.

1. wompus

wompus Geek Trainee

I have a slow cdrom drive in my laptop. When i play divx files from cds the playback is choppy. Is there anyway to increase the buffer on a cdrom drive so that playback would be smoother?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Unless the DVD program has a way to adjust a buffer (which would be stored on your hard drive), then no. The other way, and this is if you had the schematics and knew what you were doing, is to replace the buffer memory chip on the CD-ROM unit itself.

Other more practical ways would be to 1.)try using a lens cleaning disc; or, 2.) buying a faster CD-ROM unit (if that's even a possiblity).

If the laptop's CPU isn't that fast (below 500MHz Pentium 3), then the CPU might be an issue. Unfortunately, the way laptops are generally designed, the CPU is soldered onto the motherboard, thus making that type of an upgrade undoable.

3. wompus

wompus Geek Trainee

I ended up using the player that comes with divx instead of windows media player. There is a setting there that lets you turn down the quality for smoother playback.

4. syngod

syngod Moderator

Using WMP you can turn down the quality as well, just go into properties and it should come up with a few menus one of which will be the divx properties box.

I've done a bit of testing as I've done quite a bit of video for the web and I'd have to say it's probably best to use WMP 6.4 followed by BS Player for playback.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Ahhh...WMP. That explains quite a bit regarding slowness. Here's another tip: don't use it for DVD playback either as you'll get the choppiness as well.