Input Devices not functioning properly in games

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kyrandos, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Kyrandos

Kyrandos Geek Trainee

Issue #1:

Product: Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer (original)
    Problem: In games, they are unable to detect the two side buttons on the mouse. Once upon a time they did function correctly, but theres been a few OS reinstalls and such. The games DO support these buttons as I've had it working in them before. The two buttons DO work in windows internet explorer as forward and back buttons. Left and right clickers work, mousewheel functions correctly, and middle mousebutton (wheel button) works in games. ONLY the two side buttons do not work in games. Device is connected with PS/2 adapter, as it does not work USB.

Issue #2:

Product: Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital 3D
    Problem: Joystick works perfectly fine in windows under calibration and other tests, responding to input as expected. However, when a game is initiated, joystick ceases functioning all together. The game is completely inable to recognize input from the joystick. Upon exiting of the game, the joystick no longer responds in tests or calibration. However, under game devices, it still checks and reports the devices status as "ok".

I am running windows 98se, on an ASUS A7A266 motherboard, with 512 megs of DDR-ram.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I think I've seen something about that first problem over at AMDMB in the Asus section of the forums. I don't remember if there was a fix or not, but I'd highly recommend checking them out.

3. Kyrandos

Kyrandos Geek Trainee

For which product? Intellimouse Explorer or the WIngman?

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I don't remember off the top of my head. I'd have to look it up.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

6. Kyrandos

Kyrandos Geek Trainee

Well, I've shot e-mails off to the respective companies' customer service departments in hopes they may know something, but I have a dreadfull feeling deep down in my tummy that my motherboard is actually trying to die. I've had a lot of problems with this motherboard, and due to the fact that most manufactures only seem to employ asians, It's quite a painful process to get any help. (Nothing wrong with asians of course, it's just that if you cant speak our language well, please dont apply for English customer support... please?).
    I'm looking into purchasing myself a EPOX 8kHA+ motherboard to replace this ASUS A7A266.

All in all, I cannot say I was very happy with my A7A266. However, I am inclined to think that my problems stem more from the manufacturer. Considering all the reviews, this was supposed to be a great, stable board.

Whatever reply I get from Microsoft and Logitech, I'll tack onto the end of this thread.

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, good luck on whatever ya get.

8. Kyrandos

Kyrandos Geek Trainee

Logitechs response

Thank you for using Logitech's Electronic Technical Support. My name is Allen. The following information addresses your original question. You may wish to print this out and/or save this on your computer.

If your Logitech gaming device is not working correctly in a specific game, it is necessary to determine if the gaming device is functioning correctly in Windows. To verify if the device functions correctly in Windows, please do the following:
    1.) Click START
    2.) Select SETTINGS
    3.) Click CONTROL PANEL
    4.) Click GAME CONTROLLERS
    5.) In GAME CONTROLLERS select the Logitech gaming device you wish to test and click PROPERTIES
    6.) In the PROPERTIES screen select TEST
    7.) In the TEST screen check to ensure that the axes and buttons are operating correctly

If the Logitech gaming device is functioning correctly in the TEST screen, you will need to refer the documentation that came with the specific game that you are having problems with. Refer to the section of the game's documentation that covers configuring a controller.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Needless to say, this answer should help just about NO ONE WHO HAS ANY INTELLIGENCE WHAT SO EVER, and I'm quite TICKED that I recieved some sort of weird automated (I hope) response. If this isnt automated, That bastard didn't even read my e-mail. (Yes, I most definatly DID tell him that it was working in tests, but then CRASHED and stopped functioning once a game loaded)

9. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Def, an automated response, Who ever read you're email just picked out the keyword and sent the message template for the problem.

the problem with the mouse and joystick do seem very strange.
    does this happen with all the games you have? or only a few?

10. Kyrandos

Kyrandos Geek Trainee

It happens in all games.

I would expect such a responce from Microsoft, not Logitech, but Microsoft still hasnt even e-mailed me back. So, in a fit of anger, I walked down the street and bought a new motherboard, an EPOX 8KHA+. If anyone asks, I would recommend an 8KHA+ over an A7A266 anyday.

11. Sniper

EPOX 8KHA is a good buy... :D

12. Sniper