inspiron 9300 hardware failure

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by wargamer6, Aug 24, 2005.

1. wargamer6

wargamer6 Geek Trainee

I just purchased an inspiron 9300, and lately I've been getting hardware failures with a Blue screen of death. At first, I just thought it might be getting too hot, as when I got the error the laptop was warm. So I bought a cooling pad to see if that worked. No dice.

It happens at the most random times too. A period of a week could go by and nothing happens, but then I could get 4 in a day, like yesterday.

I don't remember the exact message, but if it happens again I'll write it down.

Anyone know what might be my problem? Thanks.

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

usually blue screen of deats are just software failures, try a fresh install of windows, but certain applications can cause blue screen of deats, like i had macafee firewall, and i had to uninstall it, becouse it was causing a blue screen of death, download a program called memtest 86, i think thats what its called, and test your memory, you have to put it onto cd or floppy, and boot it up before windows starts, and it will test your memory for errors.

also, if you have a windows xp disk, boot it up before windows starts, and in windows setup there is a repair widnows option, and then it takes you to the recovery console, in there there type HELP for a list of commands, once i was getting blue screen of deats, and i did a fixboot and chkdsk command, and that sorted it, but that was for an unmountable boot volume error, so untill you find what the exactg message is, i cant say if recovery console will work, but give it a try.

hope that halps :D

3. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

you might be triggering some process in the background that is not supported through the OS by the corrupt files in the registry or no specific file support, repairing windows is a good move but idk if you can lose your data through it, what programs are you running that appear in the lower right icon bar?

4. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

i dont think you do loose all your data through repairing windows becouse i am sure i have done windows repair once and i still had all my programs and stuff and evetyitng on the desktop.

i also said, try recovery console, you can also do a chkdsk and fixboot through cmd when you are on windows, i dont know if its as effective as doing it out of windows tho.